Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 16th, 2013 09:00

Recover Pre-installed Windows 7 License Key

Hi there.

I recently bought a second hand ( dell e6410 ) laptop. Operating system was not installed and there is no sticker on the laptop(or under the battery ) concerning windows.  I would like to know if the laptop had a pre-installed operating system, and if so, could I get the license that it came with it? I don't have any recovery DVD, and there also is no Recovery partition.

As I read on Internet, it might be that the license key is related somehow to BIOS to keep the license attached to only the computer that it was intended for.

Thank you.

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

December 16th, 2013 09:00

Hmm ... that 'buyer beware' phrase comes to mind.  If it doesn't have the license sticker on it, then it is not running a legit operating system.  Even if you do get a valid license key by running Belarc or Magic Jelly Bean, there's no way to know where that key came from.

Key is not in the BIOS on Windows 7 (only 8), but Dell installation media checks the BIOS to make sure it is a Dell so it can install and activate, but without a license key sticker, that isn't legit either.

1 Message

February 17th, 2018 13:00

i have the license sticker but it dose not work

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

February 17th, 2018 16:00

@tabit wrote:
i have the license sticker but it dose not work

I too have bought used Windows 7 laptops on eBay.

The last one I bought was a Dell Latitude 2120 in November 2017.

There was COA on the bottom of the laptop. I installed the same version Windows as the sticker, i.e. the COA was for Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit. Windows activated.

No Events found!