Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 24th, 2005 01:00

Registering McAfee Security software

I NEED HELP!!!!!  I recently purchased a Dell Inspiron 6000 laptop with Windows XP.  It was preloaded with McAfee Internet Security software.  When I tried to register the software, it tells me the system detects a previous user.  I am not able to receive any updates, because I need to register first.  Now can you figure that out.  I talked with a McAfee tech today via chat/email, but was unable to come up with a solution to fix the problem.  I was told to call Dell.  According to other messages posted elsewhere in this forum,  there has been others that have experienced this same problem.   So far I haven't found a message indicating any good solution.  I plan to call Dell in the next few days.  It concerns me not being able to get current updates. 

Thanks for any info you can send my way.

1 Message

May 26th, 2005 20:00

Sorry to tell you that I don't think it will do any good to call Dell.  I too have a problem with McAfee.  When the trial ran out on the personal firewall that they installed, I began getting popups reminding me to verify and pay for subscription.  However, it would not allow me to do either.  At the exact same time, my access to the internet was cut off.  I called Dell.  I was informed that tech support for software would cost $49.95 for 72hrs.  I should contact McAfee.  The only way to contact them without a charge was online so I had to use my office computer because my new laptop wouldn't allow access.  I was told to delete the program and that did not work.  They sent me instructions to manually delete the program and that hasn't worked.  The new Inspiron laptop is now in a local computer repair shop where I am going to have to pay for someone's mistake.  I won't have McAfee on another computer if I have a choice.

May 27th, 2005 01:00

Thanks for the info pamlhpr. But since I posted my original message, I have decided not to mess with it anymore.  There is more to life than fighting with 2 different companies.  My computer guy that helps me with my PC problems talked me into taking on a software antivirus protection from the Internet.  It is well known and FREE.  We will see how that works.  Thanks again.
No Events found!