Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 26th, 2005 18:00

Reinstall McAfee CD?

I recently bought a Dell Dimension 8400 which came with McAfee software (anti-virus, firewall, etc.).

I used Norton on my old system and want to use it on this computer. Norton says I have to uninstall McAfee before I can install Norton.

Question: If I want to switch back to McAfee (if I have problems with Norton on this Windows XP machine) can I do it? Do I have to ask Dell for a reinstall CD? If not, how do I go about it?

Thanks in advance for any help.

818 Posts

February 26th, 2005 19:00

You shouldn't have to uninstall McAfee, just disable it. You just can't use two anti-virus programs at the same time. As long as you don't have both running at the same time, you should be ok.

10 Elder

• 

43.8K Posts

February 26th, 2005 20:00

First, unless you purchased a subscription package, McAfee installed by Dell is only 90 day free trial so you just might want to wait until it expires before installing Norton. After 90 days you'll have to subscribe in order to get further McAfee virus signature (.dat) updates.

If you decide to uninstall McAfee before 90 days, go to their website and register first. Then if you want to reinstall it, log back in and click link to reinstall registered software, with free updates for the same 90 day periods (not from date of reinstallation).

Ron

29 Posts

February 27th, 2005 03:00

Thanks for the help Ron and Augie65.  I think I'll register the software and then install Norton. I want to do this before the 90 day trial period is over so if, in the end, I decide to keep McAfee I can still take advantage of the discount offer that came with the trial software.

Appreciate your help.

March 1st, 2005 18:00

Glad to find this info....... I did not request McAfee on my system, in fact I told them I didn't want any (dimension 8400) and there it was anyway..... I have looked around and I cannot for the life of me see anywhere where it says 90 day trial..... I am used to using Norton av Pro 2003 and when I bought it, it was a two subscription disc, so one is on the old puter and I have another that I can install... McAfee seems to be okay though, same with the firewall, although again I am used to getting around using zone alarm.....

So I do think I registered McAfee when I fired this puppy up (I think) and just in case I don't want to remove it, I can just stop all it's functions, it would be okay to install Nortons if it comes to that? Is the firewall they gave us free or is that something they want you to pay for as well? It's personal firewall plus.

Thanks.

March 1st, 2005 19:00

If you decide to uninstall McAfee before 90 days, go to their website and register first. Then if you want to reinstall it, log back in and click link to reinstall registered software, with free updates for the same 90 day periods (not from date of reinstallation).

Ron

Okay, well I am looking around and I find nowhere at all on McAfee to register this trial ware....... I knew I didn't like this program for some reason....... Can you head me in the right direction? I don't know if I will keep this or not. I just got this puter last week so I have 3 months to go, but doesn't hurt to be prepared. :)

March 14th, 2005 18:00

I removed it.  It didn't want to remove completely, although add/remove showed that it did.  Something was running the background and when I installed Nav 2003 when I would reboot I would freeze up or not everything would load up.  I am telling you it was a nightmare.  Anyway, I got with one of my BETA buddies  from aol and he told me how to get into the registry and do a search on McAfee and remove it bit by bit....... now that was a heck of a job and took about 20 minutes at least.  But happy to say, it's all gone now, my fear of the Registry is not like it used to be, I removed NAV and reinstalled it fresh and everything is working like a champ!  WHEW.

10 Elder

• 

43.8K Posts

March 14th, 2005 18:00

Sorry, I've been away for a while without email access (how did I survive? :) )

Register here:
http://us.mcafee.com/root/register.asp

After I reached 90 days, Mcafee wouldn't let me update virus dat files unless I paid for a subscription although it continued to run.

Ron
No Events found!