Start a Conversation

Unsolved

2 Posts

July 2nd, 2019 14:00

Reinstall Microsoft Office Windows 7

My hard drive crashed and my warranty is up. I have the Windows and Drivers CDs so I was able to get the computer running again with a new hard drive. Everything works just like before except I don't have Microsoft Office (which was preinstalled on my computer when I got it).

I have my product key. When I enter it into a Dell website I find links that take me to Office websites. But when I enter my product key into the Microsoft site it tells me I have to get it from Dell.

Any help? Thanks.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

July 2nd, 2019 14:00

OEM versions are not Pre installed.

This would be Office 2007 or Earlier and would have had actual DVD OEM media.

Windows 7 came out in 2009  you are 10 years out of warranty and Office 2007 is END OF LIFE END OF SUPPORT.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B000VEH6VG/

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

July 2nd, 2019 17:00

Exactly which version of Office did you have? My desktop PC came with MS Office 2003 pre-installed by Dell, but I also got the disk and a product key card which allowed me to reinstall Office when I replaced my hard drive and updated to Win 7.

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

The version that was preinstalled on windows 7 computers was the Office Starter Version with Word 2010 and Excel which has been discontinued. That was an attempt to sell full version of Office. It did not have an activation key. 

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

Couldn't edit my last post.

And if all else fails, there's always the free LibreOffice which reads/writes all Office file formats and includes word processing, spreadsheet, etc.

2 Posts

July 2nd, 2019 19:00

I bought this computer in 2012, so I assume it's Office 2010.

Is this a lost cause and I just have to buy it again?

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

July 3rd, 2019 12:00

Did you actually buy and pay for Office 2010, or did it just come with the trial version like @Mary G said?

This Dell link is old so I don't know if the instructions there will still work.

And if you can't get Office 2010 reinstalled for free, give LibreOffice a try. It's free and fully supported. I use it on my Dell laptop so I can work on files that were created with Office 2003 on my Dell desktop.

EDIT: There's always the possibility of borrowing an Office 2010 DVD from somebody and using your own Product Key to activate it.

4 Operator

• 

5.6K Posts

July 4th, 2019 14:00

@123LSB321 wrote:

My hard drive crashed and my warranty is up. I have the Windows and Drivers CDs so I was able to get the computer running again with a new hard drive. Everything works just like before except I don't have Microsoft Office (which was preinstalled on my computer when I got it).

I have my product key. When I enter it into a Dell website I find links that take me to Office websites. But when I enter my product key into the Microsoft site it tells me I have to get it from Dell.

Any help? Thanks.

I never understand why people never make backup images of their hard drives. SIGH.

Anyway, see if   https://www.heidoc.net/joomla/technology-science/microsoft/67-microsoft-windows-and-office-iso-download-tool  can help

You can't even buy Microsoft Office 2010 anymore except on the secondary market.

Microsoft is trying to force people to be subscribers to Office meaning that you have to pay to use it every year.

9 Legend

• 

16K Posts

July 10th, 2019 01:00

Windows 7 Reaches End of Life and Extended Support in about 6 months!!! It is recommended to Clean Install Windows 10 on your Computer, otherwise you are at risk once Microsoft stop patching Windows 7. Windows 10 Installation Media accepts Windows 7 Product Keys as Windows 10 is a Free Upgrade from Windows 7:

https://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/windows-oem-faqs-and-downloads/

For Microsoft Office do you have a Product Key? Note the Product Key affixed to the Computer on the CoA, under the battery compartment is for Microsoft Windows and not Microsoft Office.

3-Copy.png

If you had purchased an Office License you would have got an MPI card similar to below which states your Edition and Version of Microsoft Office. Unfortunately Microsoft Office is not a free upgrade and Microsoft have moved to an Office 365 subscription model:

MPI Card

For instance in the case Microsoft Office 2010 Professional.

Note there was a free version called Office 2010 Starter which had limited functionality and no Product Key. Office 2010 Starter is completely superseded by the browser based Office Web Apps:

https://www.office.com/?ms.officeurl=webapps 

No Events found!