Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 17th, 2017 06:00

Reinstall Windows 10 on XPS 8910/8920 with default storage configuration

Hello,

It was suggested I post this topic here as I originally posted in the hardware forum.

I have been looking at getting an XPS 8910/20 with m2. SSD and hdd preinstalled. 

I've read through the forums and see the issues regarding installing a different brand SSD such as Samsung. What is the best way to install Windows from scratch with the existing SSD and HDD that is already included with the pc?  I see there is no Windows media that comes with the computer. 

Is it pretty straight forward utilizing the existing hardware or would I have to download some drivers before doing so or change the bios settings? I've seen mention of Intel drivers and changing bios Sata/Raid settings but wasn't sure if that's strictly if changing the ssd or if it applies to re imaging the existing drive. 

Thanks!

Ludwig68

4 Operator

• 

2.3K Posts

August 17th, 2017 13:00

Your best bet first is to make a restore disc or usb media; instructions can be found here. If you are wanting to wipe everything and start fresh, you will have to download all the drivers which can be found on the XPS 8910/20 support pages and download windows.  You then install windows and go from there.  If you are swapping out the M.2 drive for a different one, I'd do the restore disc method so its 'factory fresh'. 

6 Posts

August 18th, 2017 07:00

BeamerMT 1979,

Thank you for your response!  

I'm not going to upgrade the M2 at this time. I just want to wipe the existing drive and start fresh with that one.

I wasn't sure if changes had to be made in the bios as I've seen others have issues when changing the M2 drive, particularly when using a Samsung.

Ludwig68

No Events found!