Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 13th, 2012 00:00

Reinstall XP on XPS600 nVidia driver problems

Hi

Have now read many threads on reinstalling XP on a 2005 XPS600.  My son has been given one, need to do a clean install.

We have the DELL XP restore disks and i managed to finally download onto a floppy the dell driver R105373.exe

So we can now get to the point where pressing F6 during re installation, loads the drivers, finds the RAID allows us to format it and then we get:

please insert nVidia SCSI driver into drive A:  after hours of searching i cannot find a solution, before recycling this machine does anyone know a work around?

9 Legend

• 

16K Posts

December 13th, 2012 00:00

What edition of XP? XP Home, XP Professional or XP Media Centre Edition? What Service Pack is on your installation CD?

If it is XP Home or Professional follow my guide "nLite: Update your Windows XP Reinstalaltion CD"

Try using the following SATA driver http://ftp.dell.com/SATA/nVidia_MediaShield_A08_R178505.exe from the XPS 630 which should be more up to date. If that doesn't work try R105373 again.

9 Legend

• 

16K Posts

December 14th, 2012 13:00

First have you ran the system diagnostics?

Secondly did you slipstream both Service Pack 3 and R105373?

Also if you are following the instructions for nlite please use a newer computer to copy the CD and to burn the CD.

I would advise making several copies of the CD e.g. 5. Some of these older units have problems reading files at certain angles from the installation CD. However if you make several instalaltion CDs and switch CD every time it has a problem looking for a file then the file will likely be at a different angle on the other CD and the setup will be able to read and copy the file.

9 Legend

• 

16K Posts

Also the iaStor.sys is an Intel file, so slipstream the Intel preinstallation SATA driver aswell as the nVidea one.

3 Posts

Hi it is XP Pro and service pack 2

Floppy for dirver is difficult R178505 doesnt work.

Trying R105373 fails under 3 party to install idecoi.dll so tried skipping file then during windows install it asks again for it and seems to install ok

during first boot get BSOD

tried nlite soltuion followed instructions but that seems to fail with file iastor.sys could not be found....

getting close to skipping this machine ,y son is desperate for it but see to be getting no where!

thanks for help so far.

3 Posts

December 14th, 2012 14:00

Thanks for the suggestions.

No i need to download SP3 guess that will push it onto a DVD

im creating the CD's on a MAC using Win7 in a VM

Will give that a go over weekend

Again thanks for the suggestions

No Events found!