Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

C

December 18th, 2009 06:00

Reinstall of WIN XP Pro on Dell Inpsiron 9100 from disk, encounter "can not find nvrd32.sys file", can not continue. HELP!

I have a Dell Inspiron 9100 desktop replacement laptop used for unclassified military admin work. However, a questionable, invalid WIN XP Pro OS has somehow found it's way onto this computer, and I need to replace it with a new WIN XP Pro install (I have the disk and Prod Key). When I run the reinstall, I eventually get the message, "can not find nvrd32.sys file." The install continues to loop to that same message when I hit any key. How do I get passed this file issue, and complete the install? It needs to be ready for Monday 21st Dec 2009. Please advise. Thank you.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

December 18th, 2009 07:00

Hi, Casper71:

Why do you suspect the current installation is invalid? You might want to run PC Restore rather than reinstall from scratch. This restores the image of the hard drive exactly as it came from Dell. Instructions for either option are here, but I would recommend PC Restore as the first option.

For the solution to your missing file error, see this thread.

6 Posts

December 18th, 2009 08:00

Osprey 4,

Yeah, I saw this thread, and it seemed a bit confusing. I am in need of a more straight forward, step by step instruction.....if you are able to.

Thanks.

6 Posts

December 18th, 2009 08:00

Hi Osprey4,

Thanks so much for the reply. The computer belongs to the military (I work for them), and someone complained about its ability to update. Upon closer inspection, I found that it has a microsoft message stating that "you may be a victim of software counterfeiting." Anyway, I need to reinstall the correct valid win xp pro cd.

Thanks. I will take a look at your suggestion...

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

December 18th, 2009 10:00

Ok, this is a known bug with some Dell systems. The resolution is described here. This usually works. If it does not, then call MS and provide the requested information. The actual license key is on the bottom of the machine. You should not need to enter this for any Dell.

Hope that saves you some time.

December 18th, 2009 11:00

Hi,

Make sure all the external peripherals are disconnected when you run the reinstall

Need more information that when exactly you get message ,does it occur while setup is copying files after the formatting ?If thats the case try running the reinstall after reseating the memory modules,if still no go try installing the windows with only one memory installed ...

1.1K Posts

December 18th, 2009 20:00

Casper71

A possible cause of the, quote "can not find nvrd32.sys file" & valid Windows problems

Just guessing but it sounds like the existing XP OS has been installed remotely (provisioning method)?

Considering the use of computer in question that’s very possible?

Meaning normal methods used to wipe & reinstall Windows may not be straight forward, depending on how the computer was deployed e.g. with no special OS build provided by the OEM (in this case Dell)

Normal methods used are:

As already suggested by osprey4, using Dell PC Restore utility (if preinstalled & it still works?) is the quickest & easiest method to use

If the Dell preinstalled OS was XP Pro (check the Inspiron 9100 COA sticker)

Then you would do an XP Clean Install using any Dell OEM XP Pro CD (preferably with SP2)

Either way you shouldn’t need to activate Windows (no product key required)

Dell step-by-step XP Clean Install is, click here

You can also use a MS Full Retail (boxed) licensed version of XP Pro to Clean Install, which will then require WPA key input

6 Posts

December 19th, 2009 08:00

Hi Bell Boy,

Thanks for the reply. My problem is actually unique, i think. Well here it is...

It turns out that the current OS is a fake XP Pro, and there is no partition for PC Restore. I think someone at one time performed a complete reslicking of the HDD.

Now, I need to somehow install a new WIN XP PRO SP3 (actual 2008 MS/Dell OS -"Already installed on Your Computer"- disk) P/N U317K.

However, after putting in the product key, it begins the install process, then stops with the message, "can not find file NVRD32.sys."

From what I am being told, the original OS was a WIN XP Home edition.

6 Posts

December 19th, 2009 09:00

Hi, Sorry for missing your reply. Thank you. Read message below; reply to bell boy. Please let me know what you think.

Thanks.

6 Posts

December 19th, 2009 09:00

I mean above!!! Thanks.

1.1K Posts

December 19th, 2009 20:00

Hi again Casper71

If COA sticker indicates XP Home??

The only OS CD that won’t require WPA key activation is a Dell OEM XP Home CD

If you want to upgrade to XP Pro you need to buy a licensed XP Pro CD from either Dell (an OEM Upgrade version) or a Full Retail (boxed) licensed version CD

If hard drive has been formatted prior to booting from a Dell OEM Windows XP Upgrade type CD you will need to activate Windows

To prevent licensing fraud, you cannot activate an OEM product key via the web, you need to call Microsoft Activation Call Center

Quote “…OS -"Already installed on Your Computer"- disk) P/N U317K

That looks like the present installed XP Pro was done using a Dell OEM XP SP3 CD

Not sure if it’s same Windows CD you are using, it’s source or if it’s an OEM XP Upgrade CD? 

Only mention that because there are reported problems using some OEM XP SP3 version CDs

Looks like it contains both new & old driver pairs released by Nvidia that cause hardware conflict errors, resulting in the cannot find nvrd32.sys file

Yet worse, not 100% sure but I doubt if the Inspiron 9100 even needs/uses Nvidia SATA/RAID drivers?

In summary

If in a hurry to Install XP Pro & cost isn’t a problem, buy a Full Retail (boxed) licensed version CD

Or use a Dell OEM XP Home CD to do Clean Install then try using the XP Pro CD to upgrade

No Events found!