Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 28th, 2004 23:00

Reinstalled XP: clock keeps resetting, problems turning computer off, etc.

I reinstalled Windows XP on a new 160 hd. Everything is working fine except:

1. My clock keeps changing time when I shut down and restart.
2. If a program locks up (usually AOL) I can't ctrl+alt+delete to End Task
3. Then, I cannot use the power button to turn the computer off. I have to turn the power strip on and off to reboot. This can't be good for the computer!

Can any of this be related?

One thing to note:

When I reinstalled the system I used a new 160 gb maxtor hard drive, which required using an Ultra ATA/133 PCI card in order for Win XP to see the whole drive. But I ran into a bunch of problems with this controller card - mainly, my computer would choke every 20 seconds or so when nothing was runnning.

Once I replaced my old IDE cable with the new card the "choking" problem went away. I still have drivers for the Ultra ATA/133 PCI card on my machine and I am not sure if I should do something to replace them or not, or if this could have anything to do with this stuff.

Any ideas?

2.4K Posts

September 29th, 2004 17:00

For your time: Right click on you clock in the system tray. Select Adjust Date/Time. Click on the Internet time tab. Uncheck automaticaly synchronize with an internet time server.

Inspiron 5100
Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.66GHZ
512 MB RAM
32 MB MOBILITY RADEON 7500C
40 GB Fujitsu HD
QSI CDRW/DVD SBW-242
Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated NIC
WPC54GS Linksys w/speedbooster wireless nic
BCM V.92 56k Modem
SigmaTel C-Major Audio
Bios ver. A29
Win XP Home SP2
pur. Jan 2004

4.8K Posts

September 29th, 2004 19:00

eurojack,

Have you checked "Device Manager" for any "?", "!" or "X" marked entries? After installing WindowsXP, did you install any additional drivers that might be required from your DellResourceCD? You might also want to try downloading the 'dell diagnostics' program and see if it turns up any hardware related problems.

Mike.
No Events found!