Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 3rd, 2013 14:00

Reinstalling Vista with a Dell Operating System DVD

I recently upgraded from Vista to Win8 Pro without any problems. A week later I added on the Media Center, but I haven't been able to reactivate the new pack. The remedies given in the Microsoft forums didn't work, so I want to start again by reinstalling Vista with the operating system DVD that came with the machine (Inspiron 530, P4). Does a manual reinstall wipe out everything on the entire hard drive or just what's on C drive? It's not clear from the instruction manuals and my hard drive is a dual boot with Ubuntu in the extended partition.

4 Operator

• 

2.2K Posts

January 3rd, 2013 14:00

Hi nbr500,

Welcome to the Community.

Dell does not support Dual Boot. Please click the link mentioned below which would help you reinstall the Operating System using the Vista DVD:

http://dell.to/dGO1fn

This would not wipe out the hard drive completely.

NOTE: Please backup your important data before performing operating system reinstallation.

Thanks & Regards
Manshu S
#iworkfordell

9 Legend

• 

16K Posts

January 5th, 2013 11:00

Windows 8 Pro isn't activated or the Media Centre Pack isn't installed? Register for the media pack on the page here:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/feature-packs

Use another email if necessary to get another free code and try to add the features again.

2 Posts

January 6th, 2013 06:00

Win8 Pro was installed and activated successfully. Media Center was installed but whenever I tried to activate it I got an error message that my OS was not supported by the activation process and that only XP, Vista and Win7 were supported. I am going to start again with a reinstall of Vista and I just wanted to make sure that my Ubuntu partitions would not be affected.

9 Legend

• 

16K Posts

January 6th, 2013 14:00

First try press "Windows" and "r' to bring up the run command and type slui 4 into the run box and press enter.

If the phone activation dialogue displays, 9 blocks of 6 characters then try and phone the automated Microsoft toll-free number.

If not try phoning a Microsoft Activation Centre and speaking to a Microsoft support agent. 

For the UK the automated toll-free is 0800 018 8354 and for the toll 0203 147 4930.

No Events found!