Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 23rd, 2011 10:00

Reinstalling Windows Os without CD

I have studio 15 bought around 15 months back. Had Windows 7 premium along with it. But hadn't  taken a cd for the same. Want to re-install the OS now, so how can i do it without the CD...???

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

October 23rd, 2011 10:00

You can do a factory restore, which would be the easiest.  There is a recovery partition located on your computer from which you can reinstall the OS to factory condition.

If you want to install from a DVD, you need to order the disk from Dell that you opted out of when you ordered.  

Alternatively, you can download an installation ISO from the link below that matches your product  key/license.  Going this route though, you must call Microsoft to activate Windows.

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

October 23rd, 2011 14:00

He already has Windows 7. A factory restore is by FAR the easiest and fastest method. He didn't say what he was trying to accomplish by reinstalling, so we don't really know which would be the best option.

9 Legend

• 

16K Posts

October 24th, 2011 14:00

Please follow my in depth guide below "A Clean install of Windows 7". - It is possible you corrupted your factory restore when installing ubuntu.

My guide will tell you where to download everything you need and the correct order for reinstalling everything.

I have found a clean install method far superior to the factory settings install.

We just (me and my friend) seen that my Inspiron 6400 with Windows 7 Professional 32 bit (5 years old clean install) was greatly outperforming his new Latitude E6510 with Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit (new with factory settings) despite the Latitude having completely superior hardware. My XPS 8300 performed much better when I done a clean install on it.

I don't know why the factory settings seem to be so bad, I thought it was something to do with Service Pack 1 being installed after the drivers however since his system is only a week old I guess its not the only reason.

3 Posts

October 23rd, 2011 13:00

Upgrade. This option replaces your current version of Windows with Windows 7, and keeps your files, settings, and programs in place on your computer.

Custom. This option replaces your current version of Windows with Windows 7, but doesn't preserve your files, settings, and programs. It's sometimes referred to as a clean installation for that reason.

1 Rookie

• 

13 Posts

October 24th, 2011 01:00

Ya factory restore option seems best. But how can i do it ? Can u please enumerate the steps... Also i had installed and deleted ubuntu months back which had created some memory issues, so this will make it clean ne ??

4 Operator

• 

3.7K Posts

October 24th, 2011 06:00

Ya factory restore option seems best. But how can i do it ? Can u please enumerate the steps... Also i had installed and deleted ubuntu months back which had created some memory issues, so this will make it clean ne ??

There is a Dell journal  that will help you get your system back to factory state, but you press F8 at the dell boot screen, further instructions are in the dell journal.

1 Message

April 2nd, 2018 11:00

This link is unavailable. Can you help?

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

April 2nd, 2018 13:00

@shreyaranjanwrote:

Which link?

It works for me.

9 Legend

• 

16K Posts

April 4th, 2018 09:00

@shreyaranjanwrote:

This is an old thread....

Windows 7 reaches End of Life in about 2 years and only Windows 7 Pro is Available for Download from Dell. Users with Windows 7 Starter, Windows 7 Home Premium, Windows 7 Professional and Windows 7 Ultimate can use Windows 10 Installation Media.

Windows 10 is now downloadable direct from Microsoft and Windows 10 Installation Media works with all Windows 7 OEM Product Keys and automatically inputs and accepts all Windows 8.0 OEM, Windows 8.1 OEM and Windows 10 OEM Keys. For more details see here:

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/download-windows-1709/

Note Windows 10 Version 1803 is expected to be released soon, likely in the next 10 days.

1 Rookie

• 

1 Message

July 19th, 2024 14:11

Hi Peeps! 

I'm trying to factory reset my Dell laptop as believe it is infected with Malware and Spyware. I have followed every instruction up to remove everything, and being presented with a message 'Could not find the recovery environment' followed up by 'Insert your Windows installation or recovery media, and restart you PC with the media'

This is something I do not have. Is there any other way around this? 

Any suggestions or advice would greatly be appreciated :)

No Events found!