Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 26th, 2008 12:00

Reinstalling Windows Vista w/o Extra Software?

Hello there, sorry if this is the wrong section but it seemed like the most suitable place.

I am considering buying the Inspiron 1720 laptop but before I do that, I would like to ask if the "resource" disc that comes with it contains Windows Vista and if I will be able to install the OS from that disc onto an empty hard drive without any of the extra software Dell may have pre-loaded onto the laptop? Thanks!

Edit: Oops, forgot to add, does the Dell software, if any, come on the disc aswell?

1.7K Posts

November 26th, 2008 13:00

While Dell does add a few minor things to the disk (so it can recognize a Dell computer) it is, essentially, a Vista (re)installation DVD just like you would get from a retail purchase.  You would also get a Dell Resource (aka Drivers & Utilities) CD with the system that would have the latest Dell drivers (as of the time the disk was created).  If you wanted to do a clean installation (wipe the drive and start from scratch)  these are the minimum required disks to get it back up and running and on the network.

Make sure to install the Dell Notebook System Software before anything else, the Intel Chipset Software, and then all the remaining drivers, to ensure everything works as it should.  The Dell QuickSet also includes some useful utilities.  All of the latest versions are available in the Drivers & Downloads section of support.dell.com.

November 26th, 2008 13:00

Excellent, just what we needed to hear! Perfect!

Thanks very much for the speedy reply and we hope to get our order in next week. :emotion-2:

3 Posts

December 28th, 2008 08:00

Hi

I am trailing though the forum to find how to reinstall the 1720 after the harddrive crash. Yes, all discs are supplied, but even i have followed all procedures, I am still unable to install VIsta, everytime comes with a different error. I hope to have a chat tomorrow with support people to see what is wrong. I have worked IT since 2000, and never had so many problems with other computers as with Dell. Had you bought it, I hope it works for you, if you have not, just go through other forums to see users problems...

1.7K Posts

December 29th, 2008 13:00

Have you tried running the Dell diagnostics to check for hardware problems?  If a clean install is giving you problems that is definitely where I would recommend checking next.  The actual errors you are getting would help the folks here identify what you're having a problem with as well.

3 Posts

December 30th, 2008 02:00

Yes, I have. No problems reported, all diags are fine... I have NEVER in my life have seen computer like this. It goes through the install stages, no problems, until the setup reaches 'Please wait...windows is starting for the first time'... After that screen it stals and comes up with the following:

Winload.exe
Lsi_sas.sys
Wdf01000.sys
Mpio.sys
Ksecdd.sys
Fileinfo.sys
Clfs.sys
Wdfldr.sys
Acpi.sys
Bootvid.dll
Ntkrnlpa.exe

I would understand if i had the same error all the time but the fact that i have different one!!!! I run a clean install each time using the same media supplied with the laptop.
I am running the setup in default BIOS values.

Any ideas???

1.7K Posts

December 30th, 2008 12:00

If it always errored in the same spot, I would suspect the install media had corrupted files that were not being detected as bad during the install.  If the errors are with different files each time, that leads me to suspect it is something else.  The only thing that I can think to try at this point is to use another computer to create a memtest86 boot CD and check for bad memory. Most linux LiveCDs also have memtest86 as a boot option for testing system memory.  A problem with the memory or CPU cache could account for the problem.  So could a bad hard drive, however, I would expect that to be generally the same file every time since the install/copy order on the files is the same every time.

3 Posts

December 30th, 2008 14:00

Hi

I have done all the tests you have mentioned, and all of them passed!!! I have tested the media, I was able to install Vista on my HP workstation, using the disc supplied -that eliminated the media provided. Now, to make matters worse, I am able to install XP on that machine without any problems!!!!!!!
I consider myself lucky that the Laptop is still on guarantee and Dell is picking it up for diagnostics, as it buffled them as well.

Unfortunatley, I have no answer to the problem and probable will never have.

Thanks for your posts.

Regards

Mariusz Kasak

No Events found!