Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 2nd, 2009 16:00

Repair recovery disc

My Dell Inspiron E1705 shipped with Vista,PC-restore,dim/insp. I was never advised or alerted to make a recovery disc from D:. I ran MS Reliability and Performance Monitor and was alerted about low disc space. I deleted all files except Dell, Program Files, Sources, Tools ,Users and Windows. I unchecked indexing for D: and uncompressed. Over the past two years I have run everything available to me to "cleanup" drive D: in ignorance! My question is ,how can I fix this Partition or determine if it is OK and do I need to make a copy on removeable media? Since I have all reinstallation DVDs do I really need this?

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

September 2nd, 2009 16:00

Once the recovery opartition is changed, it usually doesn't work.

Rick

September 2nd, 2009 18:00

Thank you pudgy1 for your quick response. I could not figure out how to use tags! I went ahead and ordered a set of recovery discs, I would not have found this without you. My low disc problem is solved for now but as you suggest,I probably corrupted D:.

Could you address the second part of the question in this thread which is; do I need to keep what is probably a bad recovery disk drive (D:). Can I delete it?

If Dell comes through for me on this one I will be forever grateful.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

September 2nd, 2009 21:00

mardito.ardito,

If D;Recovery is corrupt, then you can remove this as the backup image is no longer going to work. Your Operating System, Drivers and programs will have to be installed manually, in the event of a problem. You would have had to do that anyhow, if the hard drive failed.

How To Restore or Reinstall Microsoft® Windows® on a Dell™ Computer

I don't think you can delete the D;Recovery partition. You might have to remove everything, then change your partition size. I used Partition Wizard Home Edition when I partitioned my hard drive to install Vista Home Premium 64-bit.

As for the backup disks, as long as you're the origional owner and live in the United States, the link below my signature will get you a set.

Rick

No Events found!