Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 10th, 2010 04:00

Restoring Backups

I have dutifully backed up the hard disks on a Dimension 4500 (XP, SP3) to an external hard disk and I would like to transfer the data from the backups to a new computer Studio 8100 (Windows 7) which I have ordered.      The disks were backed up using the Windows Backup program NTBACKUP .    As extra insurance I have copied directly a large number of files  to the external hard dirive but I doubt that I will be able to transfer   many more because my old computer is on its  deathbed.     However, all of the files have been backed up using NTBACKUP and I assume that  they are stored in a  Windows backup format since I can only see the contents of the stored folders using the Backup Wizard..       Please can anyone advise me?

Meanwhile,  I will try to breath some life into the Dimension 4500 and, if it is revived, I will  copy directly as many files as I can before it receives the last rites.

thyde  

263 Posts

March 10th, 2010 06:00

thyde,

I have upgraded, clean install, to Win 7x64bit. I used Microsoft's new "Easy Transfer" program. I believe this is similar to NTBACKUP but don't know. All my files were backed up on an external HDD and transfered back to my computer after the upgrade.

I have included a link to MS procedure for upgrading from XP to Win 7. The easy transfer is explained in the process and is a simple download. Look it over if you have not seen it and hope it helps.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/help/upgrading-from-windows-xp-to-windows-7

Good luck

280 Posts

March 16th, 2010 09:00

Thanks Bellboy for your reply.     Sadly, my Dell Dimension 4500 passed away on the 10th March, fortunately I had copied/backed-up most items from it on to external hard drives.       The Dimension has now been replaced by a Studio XPS and I am now on a steep learning curve to discover its secrets.

thyde 

263 Posts

March 16th, 2010 09:00

thyde,

Congratulations on your new machine. I'm sure you will enjoy it and will like Win 7. Hope all your transfers go well. 

belboy3

2.9K Posts

March 16th, 2010 11:00

Would this help?

No Events found!