Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 27th, 2007 20:00

Roxio Creator DE

This came on my new E1505 but after a few days it said my trial was up even before I could even see what it was about or what it cost. Is this even worth trying to keep or get something like Nero instead? There are about 9 items related to Roxio in "Programs and Features" if I uninstall Roxio do I remove all of these?

18 Posts

February 28th, 2007 06:00

I too have the same problem. I haven't even had my computer for 2 weeks yet and it says Trial expired and I had never even used the program. I had an error message, something about a Sonic Solutions driver (Sonic Solutions = Roxio), and just yesterday downloaded and installed the update from Dell and while it got rid of the error message, the program now no longer works.

None of the disks that came with my computer has the Roxio program on it. There was also no documentation with the software or any indication that I was going to get it when I ordered it. It's rather frustrating to say the least. I don't even want to try the Roxio product now if it has problems before I even use it!

Vista compatibility problems? Maybe someone should have checked this out before agreeing to putting it on a new PC.

2 Posts

March 3rd, 2007 05:00

The same thing happened on my new XPS M1710.  It was not even a few hours old and I could not use roxio because the trial was up.  I did receive a Roxio Creator and MyDVD 9.0 DE CDROM which I used to install updates to all the software.  If you want to uninstall roxio you have to remove every program.  This fixed the problem.

March 10th, 2007 16:00

Be glad you found this out before you bought this junk. Mine came preinstalled with the full version of Roxio 9. I have spent this entire day trying to get this thing to burn disks. If you are trying to burn vids from a P2P site you have to make sure the file is downloaded in a codec this thing will read. (I'm not sure that protocol exists in the known universe!) Since many of them are coded in DivX you will have to go to the DivX web site and download the codecs (Make sure you only get the trial version because after downloading it, I find that Roxio still will not let me open downloaded DivX files) DivX used to come for free on many MS OS's but now that half the disks in the world are coded in this format they charge you for it. (Another wonderful software manufacturer scam!) With or without the DivX application I find the downloaded files have a big "No Entry" symbol on them and they refuse to open. With existing video files, downloaded and burned using Windows XP, you can not get as far as loading the file. You simply get a message saying that Roxio does not recognize the file.
Don't put yourselves through this . Get Nero!
Powell 

5 Posts

January 8th, 2009 00:00

I recieved my Inspiron E1505 about a year ago and just now went to go download the Roxio Creator and My DVD 9.0 DE on my computer. It says it's not compatible with something (I believe my operating system, which is Vista). Yet after that message, it goes on to install it. It wants to restart my computer so I do, but then I get a blue screen saying something's wrong and I can't open Windows. When I was finally able to get back on so I could uninstall it, I did. :( Will I ever be able to download it or should I just throw the disk out. I don't get it though because the disk came with the computer, wouldn't Dell have made sure it worked with Vista before packaging the two together??? All well. Any info would be great, thanks!!!

1.1K Posts

January 9th, 2009 10:00

wouldn't Dell have made sure it worked with Vista before packaging the two together

FYI...A friend of mine from work has the exact same problem.  Installed ROXIO 9, my DVD and it blue screened on startup and they can only get in via Safe Mode,  then they have to delete, then load windows...etc....but here's the kicker....they have XP.  So don't be so quick to blame VISTA.

5 Posts

January 10th, 2009 02:00

I've loved Vista so far, but I know other people seem to have problems with it, so I just assumed that's what it was. Don't really care what the issue is, just irritating. And my computer shows a blue screen too! It won't let me log on normally, so I've gone into Safe Mode and tried to do a system restore, but it doesn't seem to help, no matter how far back I go. But my computer was doing fine until I tried installing the Roxio program. I'll keep trying things, let's hope I come across some thing that works. :(

1.1K Posts

January 10th, 2009 10:00

HI

I bought my computer around Jan 2007. It did come with XP MCE SP-2. I was given an opportunity to register for the Dell's VISTA Express Upgrade disk-This offer I did take up. I did a clean install of the VISTA OS and the Roxio Creator started to give me trouble. [Dell did provide a Roxio CD for installation]

Then from the Roxio forum I learnt that there should be a patch available for the Dell computers to stop the problem under vista os. This I did install and from then on the basic Roxio works well.[First check your Dell's Drivers site with your service tag and remember to look in the appropriate OS]. This is what I needed from Dell's download site:

Sonic Solutions Roxio Creator LE - VISTA 117725

By the way the Dell when install Roxio, it is only for few weeks available to you and if you wish for the full version you need to pay to Roxio on line and activate the apps.

Many here in this forum [experienced wizzards in computer] around  the time of Jan/Feb 2007, felt Roxio was not worth paying for but to go for Nero or if you need the basic recording facilities there are many free ware available in the internet.[Vista Home Premium and above has its own facilities to burn music cd's by the way] 

1.1K Posts

January 10th, 2009 11:00

The solution for my friend ended up being a CTRL - F11 and resetting windows back to the factory install.  Even after uninstalling all the Sonic and Roxio stuff, they still blue screened, so they were going to reset the PC back to it's original factory install.  Kind of stinks.  Lucky they have a 500GIG external HD to back up all their stuff.

5 Posts

January 11th, 2009 17:00

Thanks for all the info you guys. I just had an issue with my hard drive so they sent me a new one. Just got done returning my computer back to normal with all my programs and such. I uninstalled Roxio and am still getting the blue screen as well. Gonna be really bummed if I just spent all that time building things back up to have to turn around and do it all over again. :( Desperately looking for another way. Googles an amazing thing, I'v managed to solve every other computer problem there. Cross your fingers!

No Events found!