Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 17th, 2003 19:00

RunDLL32.EXE

I somehow ended up with a nasty little thing installed on my laptop called CoolMP3 from what I can tell it messed with Rundll32.exe in my System32 folder.

And it was calling a dll called MSA64chk.dll that installed a short cut on my desktop to some sort of funky dialer.

I found MSA64chk.dll and deleted it but don't know where to edit what rundll32.exe tries to launch so I can't get the computer to stop looking for it.

Can you tell me how to edit what rundll32.exe tries to load? or if I have done something else wrong.

December 17th, 2003 20:00

Start > Run > msconfig  then click OK. System configuration utility window will appear....click the Startup tab (last tab on right". Un-check anything you do not want to load at startup, then click on OK.  Choose Re-start when asked to do so. After reboot, put a check in the box "do not show me this again, then click OK.

Now........go buy a good anti-virus program (I prefer Norton; uses less memory than that pig McAfee), update the virus def's, and scan the system.

2.4K Posts

December 18th, 2003 19:00

An antivirus program may not be your problem/solution; if you install freeware you might get more than you bargained for.

2 Posts

December 18th, 2003 19:00

THANK YOU!!!

Will DEFINITELY CHANGE TO NORTON WHEN McAFFEE subscription expires.

They aren't helping me much!

2 Intern

• 

4.4K Posts

December 18th, 2003 20:00

AV software is only recently getting to grips with things like diallers and other malware (not strictly speaking viruses). Use Spybot and Adaware, see

http://www.cjwd.demon.co.uk/compsafetyonline.html

No Events found!