Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

B

October 30th, 2004 19:00

SP 2 installed on refurbished Dimension 8400?

I have been reading alot about SP2 and alot of the problems it is creating for some people. I have a new (refurbished) Dimension 8400 on the way, and I am hoping like heck it will already be installed. I feel this service pack is importrant for alot of security reasons. I have been wanting to upgrade to XP for quite awhile. I have had my win98se for a few years now, I also got it refubished. Hoping for a yes to my question! bjfromnv:smileytongue:

4.4K Posts

October 31st, 2004 02:00

bjfromnv,

My experience with Dell refurbished systems is that the system will be sent with the OS image that was being shipped at the time the system was originally sold. Given how new XP SP2 is, that makes it unlikely that it will be on the machine.

Jim

8 Posts

October 31st, 2004 11:00

Thanks for you help. bj

4 Posts

November 13th, 2004 12:00

By now you have got your refurbished system... I bet it has sp1 xp on it...Why do I know.. I have one too. I bought one and it had sp1... delivered 11/4/2004.
When I try to upgrade, I am getting a blue screen of death error on restart...
"Setup cannot find cdrom...MAke sure that all scsi devices are properly terminatored"..
Very Unique error.... No help anywhere on the web.... sounds like a software/hardware problem....with upgrading to sp2.
I called and made a case and tech support said DONT upgrade to SP2...Why,,,I have another NEW system delivered in 11/1/2004 that came shipped with sp2.   
This sp1 system is going back or else I'll be on sp1 for life.......

Anyhow...good luck getting any kind of consession from dell....they'll pay for shipping back to them.

8 Posts

November 18th, 2004 16:00

Wow, I just read your message. You are certainly right about my having sp1 on the "new" refurbished puter. I went through my list of hooking up to virus and internet security before I did anything. Installed and ran both Spybot and Ad-aware. I had ordered the cd with sp2, but feeling brave I did the download, after about six hours it was downloaded and installed. Everything is fine here. I wonder why you had such a problem? It was my understanding that you had to have sp1 before you can install sp2?Thanks for the info. bj
No Events found!