Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 14th, 2010 08:00

SP3 upgrade didn't work, now I'm stuck, HELLLLP!!

Re my Dell Dimension 4300 XP SP2:

Can ANY Dell XP Install or Recovery disks be used to recover from a "can't boot" problem?

A notice about an SP3 upgrade appeared, and I allowed the update, and now my machine won't boot.  I get as far as this message:

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
\system32\hal.dll
Please re-install a copy of the above file.

I read somewhere that this message is not really accurate, and that multiple copies of this file exist in Windows, but that this message is
"the best WinXP can do under the circumstances".

I can't boot into SAFE mode.   

I bought this machine used from the original owner, and did not get any disks of any kind with it. .

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

November 14th, 2010 09:00

Another Dell Windows XP disc should be able to be used as long as it's the same version, e.g, Windows XP Home Premium, or XP Professional.  If it's a different version it MAY work OK - you would have to try it.  Windows XP "Repair" should fix the problem.

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

November 14th, 2010 12:00

read  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/330184 to learn exactly what you need to do

Hopefully you can borrow a Windows XP disc with SP2 from someone.

159 Posts

November 15th, 2010 00:00

In my opinion. Windows XP Repair can't repair anything. It didn't work successfully any time for me. Maybe it works for you., I don't know. try it but if it doesn't  work for you, install a new fresh windows.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

November 15th, 2010 03:00

I work on PC's and have used the Repair many times in XP for clients.  But, it does depend on the problem whether Repair will work or something else such as a complete reinstall is needed.

No Events found!