STOP: c0000218 {Registry File Failure}
The registry cannot load the hive (file):
\systemRoot\System32\Config\SOFTWARE
or its log or alternate
It is corrupt, absent, or not writable.

Beginning dump of physical memory
Physical memory dump complete

Contact your system admin or technical support group for further assistance

I realize that I have to install and boot from the "Recovery Console" found on the XP CD. I've checked out Microsoft.com, so please don't reply with a link to that text. My question is this: If I do what Microsoft says and reboot the registry files, will I lose all of the files on my computer?
Thanks

18.8K Posts

October 15th, 2003 16:00

zoldrummer,

The answer is that you will not lose all the files on your computer. However, as the MSKB article states, "This procedure does not guarantee full recovery of the system to a previous state; however, you should be able to recover data when you use this procedure."

Note the use of the word "should."

January 31st, 2004 23:00

I am wondering if anyone has actually followed the instructions from the microsoft article  for :

STOP: {Registry File Failure}
The registry cannot load the hive (file):
\systemRoot\System32\Config\SOFTWARE
or its log or alternate
It is corrupt, absent, or not writable.
Beginning dump of physical memory
Physical memory dump complete
Contact your system admin or technical support group for further assistance

and if it was successful.  Dell tells me to reinstall the OS, wiping out my data.  Also, is this error caused by a Microsoft flaw, or does anyone know?  I would like to hear from someone who has recovered data despite the error message, and how it was done.  THANKS.  If "zoldrummer" used the process I would like to hear results. 

February 2nd, 2004 14:00

I actually remedied this problem without any ...problems. I put the Windows XP cd into the drive and restarted my computer. When the setup window appeared, I chose "Automatic System Recovery." This resolved all of my problems without deleting any of my files. Just to be safe, I installed XP Pro before I did that (I had two operating systems) and backed up all of my files. This proved useless, because everything I had was saved.

March 5th, 2004 23:00

In case any one else ran across this problem, I had someone do the Microsoft XP solution successfully; however, some of the instructions or code that Microsoft tells you to do is wrong.  I never would have been able to follow the instructions myself - but all my files are fine now. 

137 Posts

March 5th, 2004 23:00

You wont lose any files on your computer when you use the recovery console to repair a corrupted registry.

HOWEVER, if you only replace one registry hive , such as the software hive and not all of them, you stand a very large chance of having more issues. It is always best to replace all the registry hives and reisntall any software than take a chance and have to perform a complete reinstallation if it becomes worse.

No Events found!