Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 29th, 2004 19:00

Service Pack 2 interactions

I understand that SP2 will install with a firewall and an Antivirus program enabled. I have both now running. Will there be interference,  will I be able to unable these items in SP2 or are they better than say' Zonalarm, and Grisoft AVG, in which case I should remove what I have before installing SP2

2 Intern

• 

18.8K Posts

May 30th, 2004 00:00

Jim5,

The firewall in SP2 can be turned off so you can remain with your existing firewall if you choose. SP2, to the best of my knowledge, will not include an antivirus program, but Microsoft has engineered SP2 so that it will recognize third-party antivirus programs and incorporate them into its display of security features.

There is more complete information here and here.

Message Edited by Denny Denham on 05-29-2004 06:45 PM

13 Posts

May 30th, 2004 20:00

Thanks thanks thanks.

August 14th, 2004 02:00

i think i need help! with the  new windows service pack 2 on the way, i'm having a nervous meltdown! i am so worried that its going to erase all my personal settings and favorites and mess up my comp really bad....like a single update did last year! (had to have it reformatted and lost a lot of personal settings, screensavers etc. )

ok, my main question right now is....do i have to download anything from Dell to make my comp compatable for this new "mess" i'm about to get into????? i don't want another happening like last year. i'll do anything to keep it from losing all my neat personal settings!

sherriey

13 Posts

August 14th, 2004 22:00

I would wait for a bit to install SP2. Let it simmer on other PCs for a while . If you do download, pay careful attention to the procedure, the Beta version had a means to archive your existing stuff and put SP2 in the add/ remove section of the control panel . This should keep your stuff intact one way or another. Good Luck

August 15th, 2004 00:00

thanks for your answer. i have my auto-update thingie turned on for Windows. now, if and (when will it??) when it comes in on autoupdates, can i just leave it sit there for awhile before i install it???   and....do i need to up-date anything from DELL? for my comp?? i have a 8250 with tons of hard drive space available. but do i need a Dell update too??

sherriey (iam comp. dumb!!!)

13 Posts

August 15th, 2004 18:00

In the automatic update tab, choose the bullet that says 'download and let me specify when to install'.
No Events found!