Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 19th, 2009 19:00

Should I Upgrade to IE8?

I like IE7 but have read some good things about IE8, written by Microsoft of course.

If you have upgraded to IE8 and like it, please give me some feedback.  One of the drawbacks I have found with IE7 and Firefox is that they can be slow at times.  I have read that IE8 is faster.  Have you found it to be faster than the other browsers?  Does it handle feeds and bookmarks well?

Thank you for any information.

Nissi1

4.6K Posts

March 22nd, 2009 04:00

I have yet to understand what Silverlight does.  Would you mind explaining how you used this application?

You'd be best advised going to the official Silverlight FAQ's page, to find out :emotion-55:

You can get a brief introduction to it with this short (2:25) video though - 'All about Microsoft Silverlight' :emotion-5:

322 Posts

March 22nd, 2009 16:00

Hello TheRealFireblade,

It is good to hear from you again also.

Thank you for the information and the beautiful way it was composed.

Nissi1

39 Posts

March 23rd, 2009 08:00

Running Vista Home Premium. I installed IE 8 and the installation went off without any problems. I found that on many web sites, the imbedded links wouldn't go anywhere. On webs sites that worked, IE 8 did seem a little faster. However, I have since uninstalled it (without any problems) and now all links on every web page work just fine.

3 Apprentice

• 

15.2K Posts

March 23rd, 2009 10:00

Nissi,

IE8 should be listed in add/remove, under the W's,  as WINDOWS Internet Explorer 8.

You said IE"7" stopped working 4 times... I'm supposing you meant IE8.   There may be "simple" solutions that you might want to try/consider first, before uninstalling... for example, in my case --- through trial-and-error --- i found that disabling the google-toolbar-related add-ons made IE8 more stable.

322 Posts

March 23rd, 2009 10:00

Hello SEFrost,

I finally took the plunge and downloaded IE8 this morning.  As you stated, the installation went off without any problems. However, IE7 stopped working 4 times.  At one point I received a DEP warning.  I have owned this computer for 2 years and have never received a DEP warning; although I am aware of it.  Also, I do not find IE8 to be faster than IE7 and the appearance, which is similar to Microsoft's new Hotmail, has a flat no depth or shadows look.

I want to uninstall IE8, however it is not listed on the Uninstall page.  How do I uninstall IE8 and reinstall IE7?

Thank you,

Nissi1

322 Posts

March 23rd, 2009 21:00

Hello Ky331,

Thank you for the information.

Yes, I meant IE8.  I have discovered IE8 stops working whenever I initially click a link or shortcut.  After II close IE8 and click the same link or shortcut again, then IE8 takes me to the proper destination. 

The only toolbar I have added to IE is Site Advisor.  However, after searching the add-ons, I noticed IE8 has added quite a few new add-ons.  I will disable those I do not need and see what happens.  But I still dislike IE8's appearance!:emotion-2:

Nissi1 

I checked the add/remove, IE8 was not listed.

1.1K Posts

March 24th, 2009 02:00

Hello,

I installed the IE8 the day after the release.

My experience is very good. No lock ups. Lightening speed. Better than IE7.

I also tried to connect to a site described by Ky331 under Virus discussion,within a second of clicking my browser turned Red and blocked the site.

I am indeed happy.:emotion-2::emotion-2:

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

March 24th, 2009 03:00

I had problems accessing my emails from my hotmail account under internet explorer 8.

39 Posts

March 24th, 2009 06:00

Nissi1

To remove IE8, navigate to  Control panel...Programs and Features..on the left hand side of next window find "View installed updates". You will see IE 8 in installed updates. Simply click "remove".

I, too, do not have any add-ons, accelerators, etc installed with IE 8.

322 Posts

March 25th, 2009 14:00

Good afternoon,

Thank you all for your support.  It reminds me of the "good 'ole days" back at the Old Dell forum.  However, navigating this site is another matter, especially if you do not own a widescreen monitor.

I finally had to restore to revert back to IE7.  It was not listed as IE8 in installed updates, but rather as Update for Windows, which at the time I did not recognize as IE8 (I checked its details today). 

I hope to install it again in the future, but for now I will stick with IE7.

Continued blessings,

Nissi1

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

April 4th, 2009 15:00

Seems to be working well with vista sp1. Vista sp2 final should be out soon? I do miss the old forums, although this one is growing on me it doesn't feel as good as the old one.

322 Posts

April 4th, 2009 18:00

Seems to be working well with vista sp1. Vista sp2 final should be out soon? I do miss the old forums, although this one is growing on me it doesn't feel as good as the old one.

SP2?  I am still trying to deal with IE8 and the new and improved Windows Live Mail! It appears every time Microsoft adds something new, something old is strangely affected.:emotion-9:

Hello natakuc4,

I have yet to reinstall IE8.  I am not sure if I just do not want to deal with the aggravation or IE7 is like my old favorite robe; comfortable and still gets the job done. 

Regarding this new forum, I thank God some of the members from the original community are still around.

Have a blessed weekend,

Nissi1

2 Posts

July 14th, 2009 13:00

I downloaded I.E 8 yesterday and I have had numerous problems. Some of these are incompatible add-ons,  failure to print webpages, failure to open email attachments, failure to open the Internet Options window in the Control panel. Restoring to I.E 7 did not totally resolve the problems.

25 Posts

July 14th, 2009 13:00

322 Posts

July 15th, 2009 22:00

Hello Captfbgnet,

Thank you for the information.  I read the article you suggested and did not find anything that applied to my experience with IE 8.  I did not experience problems with accessing any particular webpages, did not have extra toolbarsn nor had the opportunity to use any of IE 8's time-saving features.  IE  8 constantly crashed and also caused Windows Explorer to do the same.

After uninstalling, IE 8 Windows Explorer continued to crash then adruptly stopped.  I downloaded IE 8 again only to experience the same problems.  I finally uninstalled it and started using Fire Fox on a full time basis since it has some of the newly added features in IE 8 which I enjoy using.

Again, thank you for the information.

Nissi1

No Events found!