Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 5th, 2009 14:00

Shutdown hangs, now and then (Vista 64 bit and Dell XPS 430, BIOS A01)

Hi,

I have a Dell XPS 430 running Vista Home Premium 64-bit. Now and then when I want to shutdown I get the logging off of users, then the shutting down message, then that the monitor looses signal, but the computer is still on and just hangs there. Some time ago it just kept reading the hard drive. And maybe that is still the case. But it doesn't shut down completely.

I checked the System-log of Vista, but I couldn't find an error message... Just the reason of shutdown: 'Reason: no title found for this reason' and 'Reason: other (not planned)' (something like that). And the message that an Application Popup was first shown, warning that multiple users were using the computer.

The last log-message was something like: 'The Event Log service has stopped.'. Then no more messages are logged (only when restarting the computer).

I don't know exactly when it started. But maybe it was after I upgraded the BIOS from A00 to A01: the BIOS-update I downloaded from Dell's site. I don't know if it could have something to do with that?

I hope there's a solution. I bought it not long ago.

Could I maybe undo the BIOS-update? Could that help?

15 Posts

October 15th, 2009 11:00

Well, it appears the problem only exists after having played Soldat. Then shutdown hangs. Playing a game like World of Warcraft, shutdown seems to be fine...

15 Posts

October 16th, 2009 11:00

After further investigation I gathered that when starting Soldat in full screen, you experience the shutdown problem. But when not full screen (so no resolution change) shutdown goes fine. Changing resolution using Windows does not seem to leave the shutdown hanging either.

No Events found!