Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

A

January 6th, 2007 22:00

SigmaTel High Definition Audio Codec

Hi,

I have been having problems with respect to sound with a Dell PC I have recently bought. Windows Media Player refused to play music stating that the sound device was currently being used by another application, even though there were no other applications open. I then proceeded to check the device manager and there was an exclaimation mark against the sound drivers. I tried to install the Satc97 adrivers and restarted the computer and this seemed to have worked. Except soon later the problem occurred again and would not go away. A few days later it started working again randomly, and now it just breaks and works on of its own accord. I have tried reinstalling and restarting again but it does not fix the problem. Can anybody help me.

The PC is a Intel P4 running WinXP. It was a package deal from dell.

Kind regards,
Ant

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

January 7th, 2007 09:00

What is the actual PC model.  there are many different Dell models and that allows someone to give you specific assistance.  Also, what version of Windows XP?  e.g. home, Pro or Media Center?

finally, how did you "buy" Windows Media Player when it's a free download from Microsoft?

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

January 7th, 2007 17:00

The model number DOES matter.  It should be on any initial problem post; otherwise we cannot give you specific assistance, related to your specific model PC. 

Most of the new Dell's come with Media Center, not XP Home.  Again, knowing the model number would help on this. 

2 Posts

January 7th, 2007 17:00

Its XP Home SP2, No idea which model of dell it is, does it matter? I've just given you the driver name?

I didn't buy WMP, If you read carefully I said Dell PC I just bought. ----note the fullstop. Then proceeded with "Windows Media Player...."

Message Edited by antykz on 01-07-200701:09 PM

No Events found!