Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

L

April 22nd, 2007 19:00

Skype on XPS M1210, Ubuntu/Vista

Hi. I have an XPS M1210, configured to run both Ununtu (edgy) and Windows VIsta. I have installed skype on both partitions, and it does not work in both cases: I can hear the other speaker, but the microphone seems to be completely ignored. When I boot in vista, I get an error message saying "this computer has no sound capabilities for skype". I have an Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) sound card, and the drivers look like theyve been installed correctly. Any help appreciated. Thanks

10 Posts

April 24th, 2007 12:00

Running XP Pro instead of Vista, but otherwise, just know that you're not alone as far as sound problems w/ Skype in Ubuntu. Even w/ Feisty, it doesn't seem to wanna play nice w/ either the built-in mic or a headphone mic for me either.

1 Message

July 13th, 2007 00:00

Same here. My speakers work fine, just no mic activity. Hope Dell can address this soon. Not being able to use Skype is costing me a lot of money! Latitude D820 Ubuntu 7.0.4 Linux

2 Posts

July 13th, 2007 05:00

I have solved this problem by buying a USB microphone. They seem to work, on both Ubuntu and Windows. Apparently its also possible to make the normal microphones work (a guy I know managed, after talking to tech support for a couple of hours, but he does not remember how he did it :-( )

4 Posts

November 13th, 2007 22:00

On my Dell 640m, the microphone jack starts working with ALSA 1.0.15 out of the box (there was a patch around to fix the pin assignments or whatever before. It seems that there are a dozen of variants of this chipset around that are wired slightly differently, and all they needed was to find out the proper wiring and add that to the driver). It's documented in ALSA bugtracking somewhere. The kernel changelogs suggest that Kernel 2.6.23 contains only ALSA 1.0.14. On Debian (and thus probably on Ubuntu as well) you should be able to do: --- aptitude install alsa-source module-assistant m-a a-i alsa --- then reboot (or forcefully reload the sound drivers). Check the Ubuntu support forums if you need help with module-assistant (=m-a), especially how to install the correct kernel headers for your system.

37 Posts

February 11th, 2009 08:00

I had a similar problem with my Lattitude D600 running Ubuntu 8.10.  I got a USB Skype phone and selected the HID USB Device in the Skype preferences.  It worked great after that.  I never got the internal mic to work though.  Today I reloaded my system with Ubuntu 8.04 and it automatically detected my internal speakers and mic.  I could make a Skype test call without using the USB Skype phone after that.  

In both cases, I had to uninstall pulseaudio and switch to esound instead.  See the troubleshooting steps in this link for more info:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Skype

Just ordered a Dell Mini 9 and I wanted to make sure Skype works with it before I placed my order.  It works, with a few tweaks.  Ubuntu 8.04 seems to be more stable and has better hardware detection that Ubuntu 8.10.  I'll probably stick with 8.04 instead of upgrading to 8.10. My Mini 9 just shipped today.  Whoppee!  It should be coming in the mail soon.

I'm happy to see vendors promoting Linux.  After suffereing with Vista on my D600 for almost a year, I decided to switch to something else.  Ubuntu seems to be the most popular, so I wanted to get on the bandwagon.  Dell is one of the few vendors who sell preinstalled Linux.  I heard that Dell telephone support is lacking when it comes to Linux.  That's why I decided to participate in this forum and add my 2 cents.  This is my first post.  I hope it's helpful to the Dell Ubuntu Linux user community.  By the way, Dell should add Ubuntu and Linux to the tags for posts like this.

No Events found!