Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 8th, 2009 01:00

Sold incorrect OS...very dissappointed.

I ordered my Studio laptop a couple of months ago and have been very happy since I received it. I made the order over the phone as I thought it would be better to speak to someone for recommendations/advice etc. The sales advisor recommended I upgrade to 4GB RAM...which I did. When it came to choosing the operating system he went through a couple of options and recommended Vista Home Premium 32 bit.....I went for this option. It has only recently come to my attention that the 32 bit version of Vista uses a maximum of 3GB RAM...so why did the advisor recommend upgrading the RAM at extra cost? It was a totally pointless upgrade! He didnt even recommend the 64 bit version of Vista (which would put the 4GB RAM to good use). I actually feel robbed of £30. Im bitterly dissappointed with Dell after this.

Has anyone else suffered the same and made an issue of it?

Do you think Dell would supply me with a 64 bit copy of Vista?

20 Posts

June 8th, 2009 01:00

Technically it's 4GB is the max of Vista 32-bit.  But it more depends on the hardware of the computer because sometimes it's 3.5GB and sometimes it's 3.75GB.  It all depends.

16 Posts

June 8th, 2009 02:00

Oh ok....from what ive read it seemed that 3GB was its maximum.

Maybe I need to do a bit more investigation before I go complaining to Dell then!

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

June 8th, 2009 04:00

With the price of memory and that you have to install in pairs for best performance the 4GB  was probably the best option.  My Vista 32 bit system shows 3.324 GB of RAM out of 4GB. 

4 Operator

• 

3.7K Posts

June 8th, 2009 07:00

Hi, My Vista 32 bit system shows 3.25GB of RAM out of 4GB, which is the norm for my system.

2.4K Posts

June 8th, 2009 08:00

I ordered my Studio laptop a couple of months ago and have been very happy since I received it. I made the order over the phone as I thought it would be better to speak to someone for recommendations/advice etc. The sales advisor recommended I upgrade to 4GB RAM...which I did. When it came to choosing the operating system he went through a couple of options and recommended Vista Home Premium 32 bit.....I went for this option. It has only recently come to my attention that the 32 bit version of Vista uses a maximum of 3GB RAM...so why did the advisor recommend upgrading the RAM at extra cost? It was a totally pointless upgrade! He didnt even recommend the 64 bit version of Vista (which would put the 4GB RAM to good use). I actually feel robbed of £30. Im bitterly dissappointed with Dell after this.

Has anyone else suffered the same and made an issue of it?

Do you think Dell would supply me with a 64 bit copy of Vista?

Hi BonsaiKiller

Read this for Windows Vista 64-bit from Dell

http://en.community.dell.com/forums/t/19276918.aspx

No Events found!