Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

FM

November 15th, 2004 20:00

Startup folder

How do I remove things from the Startup folder, that is, so they won't start when I boot?

2 Intern

• 

18.8K Posts

November 15th, 2004 20:00

Frank-M,

To keep them from starting go to Start|Run, enter msconfig and click OK. Uncheck the items on the Startup tab. To remove items from the startup tab entirely, see this post.

18 Posts

November 15th, 2004 23:00

There is a very easy to use free program called WinPatrol that shows you all of the "start-up programs", gives basic info for each and gives you the option of removing it so it doesn't start when booting. WinPatrol also does many other useful things. It can monitor your system and alert you of any programs that are added with and without your knowledge. As Denny said, msconfig is a way of managing startups too.

96 Posts

November 16th, 2004 23:00

How do I get that program?

2 Intern

• 

18.8K Posts

November 17th, 2004 01:00

Frank-M,

You can get WinPatrol 8.1 here but it does more than what you are after. A program perhaps better suited to monitoring startup programs is Startup Control Panel, available here. Either program gives you improved control of your starting environment.

18 Posts

November 17th, 2004 01:00

I forgot about StartUp Control Panel, great little applet. I'm a dog lover and I just like that little WinPatrol Scotty when it barks. I also use RegCleaner to manage the startup programs.
No Events found!