Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 8th, 2006 19:00

Still have Taskbar Lockup problems with Optiplex GX520.

I have had this problem for a while now and have looked for Viruses, Malware, and tried other things but nothing has worked. I just increased my Memory from 512MB to 1 Gig, but still the problem exists.
-
The problem is that after my PC is on for a while it slowly starts to freeze up, especially when launching from the Taskbar. Sometimes when I click on a Desktop shortcut, a Search flashlight will come up searching for the file. I have run Defrag many times and I have run the Scan disk tool at startup and yet I can't seem to pinpoint the problem.
-
I utilized the W32time tip that someone gave me earlier and it did improve the operation by delaying the inevitable freeze up.
-
Any help will be appriciated,
GOD Bless,
Tim H

12.7K Posts

September 9th, 2006 02:00

If you have Windows Defender installed, remove it from startup in msconfig and see if the problem goes away.

20 Posts

September 11th, 2006 10:00

I had removed all Startup programs in MSconfig except for SysTray and I still had this strange problem. The wierd thing about the problem is that it gets worse the longer my PC is On. Currently I shut down and restart my PC Several times a day to remain productive.

Thanks for the suggestion,

Tim H

20 Posts

September 11th, 2006 11:00

2nd response to Windows Defender Reply:
I looked on the PC that I am having problems with and I did not load Windows Defender Software. I do have it on my Home HP Desktop. Is it a Bad idea to have Windows Defender? I usually stick with Spybot only. I have AdAware/SE but do not use it much.

Tim H

12.7K Posts

September 11th, 2006 13:00

No, not a bad idea to run it, unless you have problems, I have seen this type of problem you are having, and shutting down Defender solved it for me. The only thing I can suggest is to leave Task Manager open and try to determine  what process is hogging the cpu cycles, if any. Running spybot to scan your machine is a good idea, just in case you have malware, adaware is also another good product to use.  You do have virus protection don't you?

20 Posts

September 11th, 2006 15:00

mombodog,

yes I have Symantic virus Protection behing a Public School System Firewall. What's funny is that I have left the task manager Open to view which process is the Hog, but they all show 0% and Idle Process is at 99%. I asked an internal IT guy and he said that our Servers are set up screwy, which slows down the Internet browser, but that should not effect my Taskbar and cause it to Freeze up. Also, during the Freezeup the task manager processes show very little use.

Thanks for the info though,

Tim H

No Events found!