Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

L

September 30th, 2008 13:00

Still having trouble with IE7 after SP3 install---dwwin.exe error

SP3 installed last week causing numerous troubles.  I thought I had the trouble with IE7 fixed after I took care of an issue with Adobe software.   Wrong.

IE7 has started with the same trouble again.   It is eating up memory and crashing.  Sometimes, it simply will not load.  Other times it loads, but then I get an error message--"dwwin.exe error   An exception occurred at 0xcd.000012.  Please click ok to close."    I have always understood that this file relates to Dr. Watson.   Not sure how to clean it up.  I have searched the earlier posts on this error but can't find help. 

It never did this before the SP3 install.  What I have done in recent days is to reset IE7.  That worked briefly.  I have not uninstalled IE7.  There is so much software installed that relates to IE7 that I'm afraid

to uninstall it.   My suspicion is that I would end up with more trouble than before. 

Has anyone else out there had this trouble?  Any suggestions on how to fix it?

The one good thing is that other troubles with the computer have been eliminated.   My advice for everyone is don't take the SP3 upgrade.  Many others have had worse problems than I have had. 

11 Posts

September 30th, 2008 14:00

A couple of notes to my earlier post. I am now getting the dwwin.exe error stating "The application failed to initialize properly at 0xc0000142." Also, at times when I can navigate to a page, another window opens stating "Out of memory at line: 305." IE7 is still eating up memory. I'm stumped.

2 Intern

• 

4.4K Posts

September 30th, 2008 15:00

Have you tried running IE 7 with no add ons? If not try that. If it is stable without the addons, that points to one or other addon causing the problem (a commomn cause for IE 7 instability). You could then identify the addon causing the problem by renabling them one by one or in small groups, testing for stability between each group added.

To run IE 7 with no add ons, use the 'IE7 (no addons)' shortcut that IE7 will have placed in the system tools folder. Or, click start, run, type

iexplore.exe -extoff [note space between e and -]

click OK or press enter.

To manage addons enabling in batches: close IE, control; panel, internet options, programs tab, click manage addons.

If the problem persists after checking with no addons, I would suggest uninstalling SP3 (control panel, add/remove, it should be listed there as Windows XP SP3 service pack) and instead of letting Windows update install it (turn off Windows update for the time being so it won't try), install it from the full SP3 installation file that you can download from

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=5B33B5A8-5E76-401F-BE08-1E1555D4F3D4&displaylang=en

Before installing make sure your PC is free of virus and malware (scan with your up to date AV and, I recommend, with Superantispoyware (free) from

http://www.superantispyware.com/

reason for saying that is that generally installing from the package is more reliable than from Windowsw update. And the PC must be clean to avoid problems with SP3 install.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

September 30th, 2008 17:00

Read this:

After you run Internet Explorer 7 for a long time on a computer that is running Windows XP or Windows Server 2003, Internet Explorer becomes unstable or crashes

"If you use Performance Monitor (Perfmon.exe) to monitor Internet Explorer, you see that the Internet Explorer process consumes many virtual bytes."

Sounds like a memory leak to me. Scroll down the page to see the parts about hotfixes for XP.

Ron 

Message Edited by RoHe on 09-30-2008 11:19 AM
No Events found!