Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

January 9th, 2011 08:00

Studio Desktop 540 windows 7 upgrade, now chipset driver not working

I have a studio desktop 540 that I upgraded to Windows 7 64-bit Professional from Vista 64 for school.  Now my media card reader is not working and I need the intel chipset driver but the one dell provides is only for vista and when chatting online they infromed my since I didnt purchase the software from dell then it voided the warranty,  Does anyone know where I can get the drivers to get my system working again?  Thanks for any help.

3.7K Posts

January 9th, 2011 09:00

I have a studio desktop 540 that I upgraded to Windows 7 64-bit Professional from Vista 64 for school.  Now my media card reader is not working and I need the intel chipset driver but the one dell provides is only for vista and when chatting online they infromed my since I didnt purchase the software from dell then it voided the warranty,  Does anyone know where I can get the drivers to get my system working again?  Thanks for any help.

Hi, Your USB is not working because of your chipset. However, your Vista driver should have done it, but if you have upgraded, then click on Control Panel, then, Device Manager, and look for any yellow marks. If you dont see any, then you don't need any drivers, but, if you do see one then, double click on it, up will come a install wizard. Run the wizard, and get it to search your Hard Drive, if that proves wrong, then you can check the Intel web site HERE. Or try downloading the Vista driver from HERE.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

January 9th, 2011 09:00

The different Operating System did not void any HARDWARE warranty you have.  And it didn't affect Software warranty since Dell will only give free Software assistance for the first 30 days, after that Software assistance is on a pay per incident.

If you had Win 7 64 bit "School" (whatever that is) to Professional the same chipset driver should work.  Actually, Windows will probably install the correct chipset driver.  If the chipset driver was not installed there would be other devices not working too, including sound and the Ethernet network adapter.

The Vista chipset drivers, if that's all Dell lists, should work OK in Win 7 since Windows 7 is basically Vista "improved".  Actually most of the Vista drivers will work OK with Windows 7.

I have a home built system with an Intel motherboard.  When I installed Windows 7 64 bit Professional, it installed the chipset drivers during installation.  I later installed the available Intel chipset drivers thinking I needed to install them and they were for Vista but installed and worked without problems.

No Events found!