Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 22nd, 2009 15:00

Supporting x64 Windows and the Windows Logo Program

Greetings,

I have a Dell Inspiron 1420 capable of supporting x64 versions of Windows.  I have just upgraded to Windows Vista x64 but have discovered that there are no drivers for this laptop provided by Dell for Windows Vista x64.

The Windows Logo Program (which this laptop is certified under) states: "OEMs using x64 implementations must have signed drivers available to end users if shipping a 32-bit version of Windows Vista on the system."

In addition, in 2007, Dell plegded to restore the 64-bit drivers after some negative press when it was discovered that Dell had removed the 64-bit drivers: http://www.neowin.net/news/main/07/10/25/dell-pledges-to-restore-x64-drivers

So what's going on?  Is Dell not again violating the Windows Logo Program by not offering 64-bit drivers for x64 capable hardware?

-Paul

2 Posts

May 26th, 2009 13:00

I agree completely. Besides, if they're going to seel 64-bit hardware, shouldn't provide (or at least link to) the 64-bit drivers to go with that hardware? Common sense says Dell has a responsibility to the customer to make sure that they can use the product. Would you buy a TV if they didn't include the remote control for it?

2.5K Posts

May 26th, 2009 21:00

What drivers are you looking for?  All the drivers I need for Vista x64 were on the Vista X64 installation disk, never needed to go to Dell for them..

No Events found!