Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 16th, 2011 19:00

Switching From Windows 7 to XP with Media Center

I am considering buying a new Studio XPS Desktop 8300 with i7 3.4 GHz, 8 GB Ram and 2TB Serial ATA HD.  I don't want or need Windows 7 and would like to format the HD and install XP (OEM Disk) with SP3 and Media Center.  Does anybody foresee a problem with this?  Advice or horror stories would be appreciated.

Thanks!

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

August 17th, 2011 05:00

If you must have XP consider some other PC that will support it.  +1 to what natakuc4 says.

9 Legend

• 

16K Posts

August 17th, 2011 04:00

Bad bad idea. This system will work far far better on Windows 7. There are only Windows 7 64 bit drivers available for it.

If you install XP you most likely get limited functionality. You would need it to be 64 bit also. If you use the 32 bit one, then you can't use half you're RAM (3.25 - 3.5 GB is the limit for a 32 bit OS).

This system runs Windows 7 64 bit very nicely, I am using it just now.

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

August 17th, 2011 08:00

I will also second (third) this:

• XP 32-bit can only use 4GB (somewhat less than that will actuallly be available), and you DON'T want to use the 64-bit version, so you wasted money on 8GB of RAM.
  • XP does not know now to properly use multi-core processors, so your fancy i7 is a waste.
  • Intel has VERY limited chipset/driver support for TurboBoost technology, so, again, your fancy i7 processor is a waste.
  • Media Center is (and always has been) full of problems. 
  • There is a very good chance that even other than the processor/chipset drivers that there are other devices in the 8300 that is simply not supported on XP, which could cause that device to simply not work, or worse, cause your system to become unstable.

I would get on board with the latest and greatest offering by Microsoft - there is no reason not to at this point.  Adapting to Windows 7 is just the first step to understanding where computer UI is heading - just wait til you see Windows 8!  If you insist on using XP, buy a used PC that has hardware XP knows how to use and can take full advantage of.

10 Posts

August 17th, 2011 14:00

Natakuc4 and fireberd, thanks for the advice.

No Events found!