Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 4th, 2009 09:00

Switching from Vista to XP Professional

I really dislike Vista and want to use Windows XP Professional instead.  I have a Dell Inspiron 1721 laptop, model PP22X. Could someone please tell me whether or not Windows XP Pro will work on my laptop?  Also, will Microsoft Word work on XP Pro?  I really want to switch, but not if I will have problems finding the drivers, etc.  Any help would be appreciated.  thanks,

Dorothy W.

1.1K Posts

February 4th, 2009 18:00

Hi Dorothy & welcome to the Community Forums

Yes WXP will work on your laptop, the challenge you correctly highlight is finding WXP OS compatible drivers

If you click on Support at top of Forum web page then select Drivers & Downloads then either enter your Service Tag or computer, model etc.., you will find drivers listed for Inspiron 1721 are for Vista only

Back in October 2007, Dell unfortunately decided to cease providing technical Support for drivers using an OS Vista or XP filter option. If interested in the subject read this Forum thread     :emotion-12:

MS Word will work with WXP

Back to WXP drivers, the following web site appears to provide WXP driver downloads for various Dell Inspiron models, including the Inspiron 1721, you need to check all the drivers are included in www.getpcmemory.com

You should be aware that installing WXP would cause problems if you ever wish to use the PC Restore (F8 key) function to restore your laptop to factory original condition

Some install dual boot setup, but not without problems

Recommended/best solution is to buy a new hard drive to install WXP, remove original hard drive with Vista & original partitions intact & keep it just in case you want to revert to Vista or sell-on the laptop using the Restore function to wipe computer clean

No Events found!