Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

P

December 19th, 2007 07:00

System Restore Error

I have recently purchased an Inspiron1420 running Vista Home Premium.  I tried to do a system restore and am getting the following error message "System could not allocate the required space in a registry log (0x800703FB)
Hoping someone can help, I am not very computer literate so will need step by step instructions.
Many Thanks in advance
Samantha from Oz

December 19th, 2007 07:00

Suspect the system files was corrupted. Sorry, either you try perform Windows repair or you need to try to do Dell Factory Image Restore. Before running Dell Factory Image Restore, please backup all your data.

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

December 19th, 2007 16:00

Not much info to go on, but I would try clearing out the System Restore files first by turning Sys Restore off on all drives and rebooting. Then turn it back on and allow new restore points to be set up. When the System Restore files become corrupted, they are useless. You can then manually set up a restore point and try it out to see if you still get that message or just wait a day until an automatic restore point is set up and try it then. To turn off System Restore, type system restore in the Start-search box. Click on it at the top of the column and select Open System Protection in the system restore window.

December 20th, 2007 00:00

Thanks Mary G but I cant even get into system restore to clean out and turn off. When I click on system restore in the start-search box and click on it at the top of the column, I get a pop up that says "System Restore does not appear to be functioning correctly on this sytem.  The System could not allocate the required space in a registry log (0x800703FB)"

I wanted to try and do a restore as programs are freezing, and the integrated webcam no longer works, it only worked for a few minutes. I've only had this laptop for around 3 months, never had so much trouble with a computer as I've had with this one.

Samantha from Oz
No Events found!