Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 23rd, 2009 17:00

System in Standby Mode, Battery Drained, Vista won't launch

I've had this issue lots of times on my inspiron 1521, and I have a documented recovery, but today, for some reason, the recovery fails. And yes, probably at some time over the last 6 months, I should have looked for a permanent solution.

Here's what happens:

1. I reach the last digits on my battery, system forced into standby mode
2. Overnight, battery drains doing whatever Vista does while you sleep
3. Plug in Laptop
4. Reboot causes Windows System Recovery screen, choose recover or reboot normally
  - Reboot normally will cause recursive display of screen
  - System Recovery will go through a painful hour long attempt to recover, reboot, repeat
  - Eventually System Recovery will give a can't find anything that can be fixed automatically, do you want to report it pop-up
  - Cancel
5. Look at Recovery details, everything looks ok with some generic something in the configuration may have caused error
6. Go to Advanced System Recovery Options
7. Do System Restore and restore to the oldest checkpoint saved automatically by system
8. After 15-20 minutes everything reboot successfully, reapply a bunch of system changes and install any programs you had installed since the checkpoint

Today, the System Restores all fail (I have 6 checkpoints, tried them all). Gives some generic invalid parameters message, which I googled and it appears generic, tells me my files were not changed

Tried every different safe-boot option, all fail with the last thing shown as CRCDISK.SYS being loaded, I renamed it, and the one ATIPCIE.SYS shows as last one to load, so not sure what comes after CRCDISK.SYS, but its probably failing.

HELP!

I really don't want to invoke the Dell Factory Image Restore ... although everything I google suggests that is my last hope ...

October 14th, 2009 06:00

I'm having the same problem,system standby failed. I have done everything you have but can't solve the problem. Dell needs to give us a driver that will take care of the problem.

940 Posts

October 14th, 2009 10:00

First this I would reccomend is that you not leave the laptop overnight just on battery power. Doing what you have described so amny time you have seriously corrupted the Windows OS. I would say that you need to run the factory restore and star6t leaving it connected to power when leaving it on at night.

It is also likely that windows was doing an update at the time it went into hibernation and that would cause you problems as well.

By the nature of the way batteries are made today they will get a much shorter life over time and by letting the battery drain the way you have I would be surprised if you get 30 minutes use from a charged battery now.

If you have files on the HDD that you do not want to lose you can remove the HDD and connect it to another computer with a USB adapter (around $15-20) and copy you files.

If you are getting about an hour of battery life now and are still under your first year of warranty you should get them to replace the battery, after a year there is no coverage on the battery even if you purchased a 3 year warranty.

No Events found!