Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 12th, 2011 07:00

T7500 - No "Hibernate" Tab in Windows XP SP3

Hi,

I've comes across a T7500 Precision with XP on it and I've been asked why there is no "Hibernate" on XP SP3. As I've never come across this machine before (and don't have access to another one), can someone please help me out?

Many thanks,

Cliff 

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

September 12th, 2011 08:00

Hibernation is not system-dependent ... it is strictly an OS function, and as firebird pointed out, it can be enabled and disabled.  Although I think hibernation is as valuable on a desktop as on a laptop, on a desktop hibernation is disabled by default.  That said, there are times when Windows simply cannot hibernate - like if the system has >4GB of RAM, which the T7500 can easily do:

support.microsoft.com/.../888575

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

September 12th, 2011 07:00

This youtube video will show you how to enable the Hibernate option.  It's a little crude but does show you how to do it.

Hibernate is a user option that can be enabled or disabled.  Generally, on a desktop it's not needed.  It's original intent was for use with laptops so you could stop what you are doing, "hibernate" which included powering off the laptop to conserve battery power and then later power back up and continue working on what you were doing, such as a spreadsheet.

September 12th, 2011 08:00

Thanks fireberd but the issue is that the Hibernate tab is not there at all - not that the option to enable it (or not) is there.

September 13th, 2011 02:00

Many thanks just what I was looking for ;-)

No Events found!