Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

C

September 6th, 2012 18:00

This copy of Windows is not genuine

I had a Backdoor Trojan virus that I removed, but in the process I got this error message that I did not have a genuine copy of Windows.

When I purchased my computer I had it upgraded from premium to professional and that required a download and validation with activation from Microsoft.

Now when I enter the product number I get an error message stating I cannot activate this copy as it is an upgrade.

I entered the old product number off my computer and it states that this is not a valid Windows product number.

So now I keep getting popups requesting me to validate my windows and I can't.

It seems that there is no way to contact Microsoft and Dell wants an arm and a leg to receive a call to India.

Does anyone have a clue what I can do that I haven't done short of re-installing the original Windows Premium and the Professional upgrade?

Maybe I can limp along until Windows 8 is released.

4 Operator

• 

2.6K Posts

September 7th, 2012 04:00

Hello Caryll,

Well I see that you have done most of the troubleshooting to resolve the initial virus issue and unfortunate that the latest issue with windows has come up. I realize that re-installing windows is not a desirable option for you however we would have to re-install the original Operating System, since that’s the only option. Please re-install and activate Win7 Home Premium (Ensure to use the product key which came with the computer for the Win7 Home Premium), Then upgrade it to the Win7 Professional using the product key which went with the upgrade kit.

Below are the steps to perform the Operating System Re-installation.
-- Insert the win7 64bit OS disk in the dvd drive. 
-- Restart the computer and keep tapping the F12 Key and it would load to One Time Boot Menu.
-- Select the CD/DVD Group and press Enter
-- It would ask you to press any key to continue booting through CD, press Enter.
-- It shows windows loading files and gives further options to proceed.
Refer the link provided below for more information.
http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kcs/document?docid=DSN_362048&isLegacy=true

Please note the sequence of installing the drivers is to be kept in mind. It is very important for the computer to work properly.
Click on the link mentioned below for the correct order.
http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kcs/document?c=us&docid=268873&doclang=en&l=en&s=gen&cs=

Once the OS is re-installed, install the drivers for the computer.
Find the drivers software from the link provided below.
http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19/DriversHome/NeedProductSelection?
-- Enter the system Service Tag.
-- Choose the operating system.
-- Install the drivers.

Most importantly, if you have any personal data on the computer, please back them up before you perform the OS re-installation.
Once the Win7 Home Premium is installed then go ahead and upgrade to Win7 Professional.
Please write back to us for further queries, I'd be glad to assist you further.

No Events found!