Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 15th, 2006 05:00

Transfer of large files

An associate of mine has some large files of information we need to transfer from him to me accross the country. Altogether they total about 9 gb, with the largest single file being about 1.7 gb. Does anyone know of a program or a way that we can transfer files this large? Thanks.

2.9K Posts

January 15th, 2006 10:00

Newtonet,

1.7Gb in a single file is a chunk of data.  Unless you're a member or affiliate of the Internet2 Abilene Project, you need a dedicated  FTP server or FTP web hosting service.   The free web hosting services limit file storage space in the 10-30Mb range, well below your needs.  The fee-based web hosting services can become very expensive if you exceed your traffic allowance, whether it's 100Mb a day or 1Gb a month.  I routinely upload and download 20 to 30Mb data backups to a software developer's FTP server.  With a Broadband cable connection, that takes minutes to accomplish.  You're probably looking at hours to upload a 1.7Gb file, and hours for your associate to download.  If you and your associate had complete backups on the FTP site at the same time that would require you to contract for 20 to 25Gb of storage space. 

Almost as fast and definitely cheaper to FedEx your data overnite on recordable DVDs. Haven't investigated current regulations with Homeland Security, but in the past I've used commercial airline pilots as couriers to move sensitve documents and data across the country.  This required having a designated person to meet the pilot upon his arrival.

Denny Denham has some good info on getting started with FTP : http://www.geocities.com/djdenhamwhidbeynet/Presence.htm

Tony

371 Posts

@newtonet wrote:
An associate of mine has some large files of information we need to transfer from him to me accross the country. Altogether they total about 9 gb, with the largest single file being about 1.7 gb. Does anyone know of a program or a way that we can transfer files this large? Thanks.

Try

http://www.sendthisfile.com/

Free accounts available with a 3 day pickup limit.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

You can transfer them via many IM programs suchas Instant Messenger. 

You can also send them via e-mail and Outlook or Outlook Express and have the e-mail program break the files into smaller sizes to send (they will be assembled into the full size file at the receiving end).  That is done in the e-mail Account - Advanced settings.

No Events found!