Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

N

November 22nd, 2004 23:00

Trying to uninstall windows xp service pack 2......

I have used some spyware detector and accidentally deleted some stuff I shouldn't have.  I am unable to restore computer to earlier time.  What seems to be my only option is to do a repair using the "reinstallation CD Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" to correct the problems.  The cd is a pre-service pack 2 cd and the dialogue box that pops up when I try to do the repair says "The windows version on your computer is newer than that on the CD.  Unable to continue" or something like that.  I am unable to do a repair using that cd.  I need to uninstall service pack 2 in order to do the repair from the install cd.  When I go to the "add/remove programs" and click on the remove button to remove service pack 2, a box pops up that says "Boxnian (Latin, Bosnia and Herzegovina) is selected as the language for standards and formats, for for non-Unicode programs.  This language is not supported prior to Windows XP Service Pack 2.  Please see readmesp.htm to select a different language."  What do I do now?   Where is the readmesp.htm so that I can select a different language?

4.4K Posts

November 23rd, 2004 00:00

Have you tried uninstalling SP2 from Add/remove? That is the preferred option.

If that does not work, see

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;875350

for other methods.

12K Posts

November 23rd, 2004 11:00

What you could do is make a copy of your XP Disc and slipstream SP2 into the copy.  There are many sites on the web to tell you how to do this.  Google should turn up many, as this was the first hit:

http://www.windows-help.net/WindowsXP/winxp-sp2-bootcd.html

You would now have the ability to repair your current installation.

18 Posts

January 3rd, 2005 15:00

Hello to all, I have a problems with the SP2 and would just like to uninstall it rather than look for any solutions to fix it or make it work for me. But it came pre-installed on my operating system and I dont have an option in add or remove programs in the control panel.  So what can I do? Is there any way to get rid of it?                                                                    Thanks,  Diana

12K Posts

January 3rd, 2005 15:00

If it came pre-installed, the only option you have is to wipe the drive clean and obtain a pre-SP2 copy of XP.  Just exactly what problems are you having that you feel it is necessary to uninstall it?

18 Posts

January 3rd, 2005 16:00

Thanks for your quick response.  Its interfering with my firewall and av (zone labs pro v 5.5, norton av 2005)  I cant run the scans in either programs.  And when I visit some websites it tells me I have to install active X, so I installed it ( active X) and I still cant enter the websites. And what bothers me the most is that my pc is very slow. I have optimum online high speed cable and on my D 2400  without SP2 my conection speed is 9567469 bps, on the D 4700 I have less than half than that. The  D 4700 is by far a faster pc.

12K Posts

January 3rd, 2005 17:00

SP2 has nothing to do with download speeds.  You can not run two firewalls, not matter what you have.  You can disable the SP2 firewall altogether and just run the Zone Alarm or vice versa.  As far as speeds are concerned, I had 60mhz PII downloading at a full 3.0 Mbps so it has everyhting to do with configuration and nor the machine.

I would suggest you visit, www.dslreports.com and have your speed tested there and make some necessary corrections is their online tools tell you that some are needed.

12K Posts

January 3rd, 2005 19:00

I do not understand what the problem is if the firewall is off.

18 Posts

the sp2 firewall is off, thats the problem, im only using the zonelabs firewall.  

4.4K Posts

girl787,

Spyware/malware is another possibility. Since something's disabled your antivirus software, download, install, update and run Ad-Aware and Spybot as described in this article.

If the problem still isn't resolved, download HijackThis, a malware analysis and removal tool, and submit the log it produces for analysis.

Here's an illustrated guide to installing and running HijackThis that you may find helpful.

With the Windows Explorer, go to C:\, right click and create a folder named HJT. Unzip the downloaded file HijackThis.zip into the newly created directory, C:\HJT.

After installing HijackThis.exe in the directory C:\HJT, run Hijackthis from that directory. Click on the 'scan' button and then 'save log' button. Save the file in the directory C:\HJT. Use a name like HijackThis.txt.

Copy and paste the contents of the log you saved in a new message in the Virus/Spyware Information and Removal board. Be sure to describe the problem you're experiencing. DON'T ATTEMPT TO FIX ANYTHING REPORTED BY HIJACKTHIS without expert advice!

There are lots more people with malware problems they haven't been able to resolve than there are expert HijackThis analysts, so please be patient.

Jim

18 Posts

January 3rd, 2005 22:00

Thanks for all the help guys but I alredy have

Zone Labs Pro v 5.5
Norton AV 2005
SpyBot S&D v 1.3
Spykiller 2005 v 12.27
SpyWare Doctor v 3.1

All I would like is to remove the SP2, is that posible?

12K Posts

January 4th, 2005 03:00

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=875350

I think you will find that SP2 is not your problem for slow speeds, rather a poorly configured LAN connection, spyware, or any of a number of reasons.  But SP2 has not been shown to slow connections to the internet.  The main purpose of SP2 is for security.

Message Edited by jmwills on 01-04-2005 07:34 AM

18 Posts

January 9th, 2005 03:00

I emailed microsoft and what they told me the service pack 2 and zone labs firewall have trouble working together, and that was the cause of my slow speed.

And they did tell me how to uninstall it, unlike what someone here said.

Thanks jmwills, I appreciate your help.

Message Edited by girl787 on 01-08-2005 11:28 PM

12K Posts

January 9th, 2005 07:00

You are welcome:smileyvery-happy:
No Events found!