Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 16th, 2016 12:00

Two new Dells, can't upgrade either from Windows 7 to Windows 10

I'm setting up two new computers for a small business, an Inspiron mini tower desktop with Dell Ultra monitor and an Inspiron laptop. Both computers came with Windows 7 installed. After discussion, we decided to upgrade to Windows 10 now (included, supposedly) to avoid a second learning curve for the crew later. 

After spending 2 hours on my own (I'm Windows savvy) and 3 (three!) additional hours online with Dell Tech Support, we were unable to get Windows 10 to install on either machine. Here's what we tried:

1. Reading the how-to on Dell's support page. It refers to desktop icons to upgrade to W10. Neither machine had the required icons and there was no other on-line instructions on what to do next.
  2. Tried the included W10 discs. Turns out they are not bootable and do not install anything.

Contacted Dell Tech Support. We did the following:

1. Downloaded the MSFT media creation tool. Ran it, first on the laptop then on the desktop.
  2. Creation tool eventually went through the install procedure then announced "Checking for updates". The creation tool then hung the computer, doing nothing else for hours.
  3. The same problem happened on the desktop.
  4. The tech support guy though helpful was at the end of his skill set. He started making suggestions like changing the BIOS (EUFI) before re-installing rather than later.
  5. We rebooted the desktop and it hung completely, saying it couldn't find any media.

Etc. Etc. Etc. Finally I ended the support call and reset everything to default. I now have Windows 7 running just fine on both machines. 

I've been buying Dells for over 25 years and I've never seen such a mess as the way these two machines were delivered regarding the OS. And tech support's inability to solve the issue in 3 hours was crazy. Surely we're not the first to want to upgrade to W10.

I'm not sure we'll continue to try to upgrade, but just in case, can someone point me to a solution here?

Thanks for reading.

EdB

10 Posts

October 19th, 2016 11:00

Thanks for your help, Jesse. We decided to stay with Windows 7; the upgrade process was just too disruptive for a small business like ours. I appreciate your efforts, but this situation speaks very poorly about Dell. Again, I've been purchasing Dells for clients and myself for over 25 years and I've never seen such nonsense with something as relatively simple as an OS upgrade. Hope they fix it.

EdB

• 

17K Posts

October 17th, 2016 07:00

ejbsfo,

Please provide the forum users with the computer model number in order to help you with upgrading to Windows 10. Below is information that may help you get Windows 10 installed. If none of the information helps you or applies to your computer post the system model information.

First, make sure that all of Windows 7 service packs and updates are installed. Backup all your Data prior to upgrading.

Since I do not know what computer you have I am adding the below information in case your computers bios supports UEFI and Secure Boot.

Boot from the DVD putting the DVD in the drive,Restart and TAP  (F12 Menu) (Legacy Option > DVD)

***Note: You may experience a delay (1 to 5 minutes) to boot to the Dell Screen with Spinning Circles.

Choose English, US
Choose Troubleshoot
Choose Advanced
Choose Command prompt
In the Command Prompt Window, enter the Command: diskpart > Enter
Next Command: list disk
Then: select disk 0 (0 being the hard drive where the OS should be installed if there are multiple drives)
Type: clean
Type "convert GPT"
Type "exit" (2 times)
Power down the System
Restart the system tapping F12 for the BIOS
Change the Boot List Option from Legacy to UEFI with Legacy Option ROMS "Enabled"
Navigate to Exit and "Exit Saving Changes"
Reboot F12
Choose UEFI DVD boot option
You'll see the Dell Screen ***Note: You may experience a delay (1 to 5 minutes) to boot to the Dell Screen with Spinning Circles.
Choose English, US
Choose Troubleshoot
Choose Recover from a drive
Choose either "Just remove my files" or "Fully clean drive"
Dell screen will show "recovering this PC XX%"
Reboots to W10 when finished

Last step..... Enable secure boot , Disable " legacy Options Rom" and Boot Option set to UEFI instead of Legacy. If windows displays "invalid system disk" or "operating system not found . " upon boot up.

Click the fist link below to choose your computer from the list and choose the Windows 10 version you are installing to download the Windows 10 drivers.

Dell Drivers, Downloads and Manuals

Windows Operating Systems Support

Upgrade to Windows 10

General issues upgrading Dell devices to Windows 10
Learn to Use Windows 10

Windows 10 upgrade from windows 7-Dell Knowledge Base Articles- Some may be helpful

• 

17K Posts

October 20th, 2016 05:00

ejbsfo,

Thanks for letting me know your decision. If you decide to upgrade your computers and need assistance with the process, let me know. 

No Events found!