Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 13th, 2010 13:00

USB Ports Don't Work Properly After Reinstallation of Windows XP

I reinstalled Windows XP on my Dell Inspiron 530S and the USB ports don't work properly.  They work somewhat since the mouse and keyboard work, but other peripherals like my MP3 player, printer, etc. don't work right.  As a matter of fact, the computer no longer recognizes the two USB ports on the front of the computer, which it did before reinstallation.

After reinstalling the OS, I put the Dell Resource CD in the CD drive, just as Dell's instructions recommend.  I installed all the relevant software but it appears to me that the Dell System Software (under Utilities on the CD) is the software that should reinstall the drivers for the USB ports.  I have reinstalled that particular piece of the software three separate times and I have the same problem with USB drives, so I'm out of ideas.

I would appreciate any suggestions that anyone might have.  By the way, I had a worse problem with the modem (it wouldn't work at all) and I found that the software on the Dell Resource CD did not contain the main driver for the modem.  I had to reinstall the modem driver from the Conextant folder in the Program Files folder on my C: drive.  If I had re-formatted the hard drive, I would have been in bad trouble.  Perhaps this problem requires a similar solution.  However, I looked through the folders on my C: drive and couldn't find anything that seemed to pertain to the USB ports, at least not in the same way that the Conextant folder did to the modem.

Help!

18 Posts

August 13th, 2010 18:00

By the way, I did install the Dell System Software (under Utilities on the Resource CD) first, so I don't think that the software needing to be installed in a certain order should be an issue in this case. 

881 Posts

August 13th, 2010 20:00

Have you looked in Device Manager for your Universal Serial Bus Controllers to see what the issue might be? Are there yellow exclamtion marks by some of them? Are the drivers for all of them the same? The driver is alsmost certainly a generic Windows driver which is already in Windows on your system.

Jeff :emotion-22:

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

August 15th, 2010 04:00

It sounds like the Intel chipset drivers (for the motherboard) was skipped.  This is often overlooked on an install/reinstall and MUST be installed before installing some devices, and some devices will not work or work properly without the chipset drivers.   One of the prime things the chipset drivers do is define (identify) all the hardware devices on the motherboard.

On an install/reinstall the correct and required install sequence is (1) Install Windows (2) Install Dell Desktop (or Laptop) System Software (3) Install chipset drivers (4) Install Device Drivers including Video, sound, ethernet, etc.

Usually, if the chipset drivers were skipped they can be installed, the PC restarted, and any missing device driver installed.  In a few cases it will take a new, correct sequence, install to get everything working.

18 Posts

August 23rd, 2010 13:00

Thanks for the link.  I re-installed Windows XP and installed the drivers and utilities using the order that was on the web page that you linked to but my computer has exactly the same problems as before.  The only difference is that I tried my USB flash drive this time and the USB port does recognize it but not in exactly the same way as before so something isn't right.  I wonder if this a warranty issue.  It would seem that Dell has an obligation to provide a competent procedure for installing the drivers after you re-install Windows XP.  Don't know what I can do about it but I'm running out of options.

18 Posts

Jeff,

Thanks for the suggestions.  I re-installed Windows XP, installed the drivers from the Dell Resource CD, and I have exactly the same problems.  I checked Device Manager and it lists all eight USB ports, and no problems for any of them -- no yellow exclamation marks, etc.  Also, I checked the status of the driver for all eight ports and Device Manager says that they are all working properly.

You seem to have a point about the USB drivers being part of the Windows XP OS.  As the computer was cycling through the installation process for Windows XP, there are notices that there were USB drivers being installed.  At least, I seem to remember that.  It doesn't get me any closer to solving my problem, but I thought you might like to know.

18 Posts

fireberd,

Thanks for the suggestions.  I re-installed Windows XP and followed the order that you suggested (same as Dell's, by the way) and I have exactly the same problems as before.  What's weird is that your description sounds exactly like the kinds of problems that I'm having with my USB ports, but your solution doesn't help any.  What's even weirder is that the Intel Chipset Software Installation Utility listed on the Dell Drivers and Downloads page has exactly the same number as the one on my Dell Resource CD (R158363) but is listed as Optional, not Recommended or Urgent.  What's up with that?  If the USB ports won't work right without this additional chipset driver being installed, how could installing this R158363 driver be anything less than Urgent?

I just don't get this.  I can't believe that Dell has provided a competent procedure for getting the computer going again after re-installing the OS, etc.  I wonder if this isn't a warranty issue since it would seem that Dell has an obligation to provide a competent procedure for dealing with this situation.  I really hate to take the computer into the shop because of Dell's screw-up but I'm running out of ideas here.

881 Posts

August 23rd, 2010 15:00

Since you now have the drivers installed in the correct order........... I would try uninstalling the USB ports in Device Manager, reboot - at that point windows should reinstall them with the most up to date drivers and they would be installed AFTER the chipset. I don't know what else to try..........

Jeff :emotion-22:

18 Posts

August 26th, 2010 16:00

Jeff,

Thanks for the suggestion. I uninstalled all eight USB drivers in Device Manager and they all were re-installed, either fairly immediately or after a restart.  I still have exactly the same problems.  My Dell Inspiron 530S now has the following driver for all eight USB ports.

Intel, 2/5/2007, version 8.3.1011.

I have access to an older Dell (Dimension B110) and it has the following driver.

Intel, 9/2/2005, version 7.2.1001.

My MP3 player works with this older system so my problem can't be due to older, out-dated drivers for the USB ports.  I wonder if there isn't other software that is either interacting (or not interacting) in a way that is different that what I had previous to re-installing Windows XP.  I think that I will start a new thread with that approach.  There has to be some kind of answer here.

November 18th, 2010 20:00

It sounds like the Intel chipset drivers (for the motherboard) was skipped. This is often overlooked on an install/reinstall and MUST be installed before installing some devices, and some devices will not work or work properly without the chipset drivers. One of the prime things the chipset drivers do is define (identify) all the hardware devices on the motherboard.

On an install/reinstall the correct and required install sequence is (1) Install Windows (2) Install Dell Desktop (or Laptop) System Software (3) Install chipset drivers (4) Install Device Drivers including Video, sound, ethernet, etc.

Usually, if the chipset drivers were skipped they can be installed, the PC restarted, and any missing device driver installed. In a few cases it will take a new, correct sequence, install to get everything working.

Now I got it, It's very detailed, Thanks for your explanation! This is what I'm looking for.
No Events found!