Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 5th, 2008 11:00

Unable to Delete a File

I wasn't sure where to post this so my apologies if its in the wrong forum. I downloaded a file from an email and it downloaded twice on my desktop. It was a to be opened as a Powerpoint file and I deleted one copy but another one is still on my desktop. I tried to save it as a PP file but it doesn't and when I try to delete it, I get an error message:Cannot Delete File: Cannot Read From the Source file or Disk. The same message happened when I try to place it in the recycle bin.

799 Posts

December 5th, 2008 12:00

Hello Jungless, What extention does it show in the file name?  Example ppt, pps, pptx, etc.

Do you have Powerpoint or Powerpoint Viewer installed on your system?

You will need one or the other to view Powerpoint files.

If you have the program Powerpoint, I would open the program and then try to open the file from within Powerpoint.

This would verify if it is an actual valid Powerpoint file.

If all this fails, you might have to boot into Safe Mode and delete it there.

Hope this helps.

10 Posts

December 5th, 2008 13:00

Try changing the name of the file to something like file.txt.  I've had this work on occasion.  On extremely difficult files that refuse to be deleted I've booted to a BartPE disk and deleted the offending file from there. 

1.3K Posts

December 5th, 2008 13:00

You can try one of these free Delete utilites.

http://www.thefreecountry.com/utilities/deletelockedfiles.shtml

15 Posts

December 5th, 2008 16:00

It doesn't have a file extention. That's the thing.... I tried to open it in PP and it doesn't open up. I've also tried to rename it and delete in Safe mode and I'm still unable to remove it.

**UPDATE** I was able to remove it by using one of the free Delete Utilities. Thank you so much!

No Events found!