Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

M

March 1st, 2012 10:00

Unable to Factory Restore Dell Studio XPS 8100

Hi, the other day my Dell PC decided to stop booting into Windows 7, so decided that I was going to do a full drive backup then restore the PC to factory default.

I went to the Advanced Boot options by pressing F8 on bootup went to 'Repair Your Computer', which then showed 'Windows it loading file' with the white progress bar then instead of loading further it went to a screen with two options.

Launch Startup Repair - this option makes the screen go blank for a second then brings back the same two options.

Start Windows Normally - This obviously goes to start Windows but as its corrupt bluescreens and restarts my PC.

How do I get to the 'Repair Your Computer' option so I can restore my PC to Factory???

Would really appreciate help with this problem!

I've checked the hidden partition on the hard drive which is still present!

If you need any more information, please let me know!

Many thanks in advance!

Mike

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

March 1st, 2012 10:00

Run Startup Repair first. It's the first step to correct a non boot issue and it keeps all your files intact. Restoring to factory settings should be your last resort, not first.

2 Posts

March 1st, 2012 11:00

Hi Mary, thank you for the quick reply!

Unfortunately I can't run Startup Repair as my computer will not load 'Repair Your Computer' to bring up that option.

I have tried booting an OEM of Windows 7 Home Premium and selecting the 'Repair Your Computer' from the setup screen, but when selecting the OS on my hard drive it informs me that the version of Windows 7 on the PC is different to the one on the CD and will not continue...

No Events found!