Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 17th, 2011 09:00

Unable to boot windows XP

Hi,

I have an Inspiron 6000 with XP service pack 3 installed.  When I try to boot, I get the error message: Windows root/ system 32.hal.dll deleted or corrupt.

I followed the instructions in the FAQs regarding this problem.  I tried to reboot using the Windows XP disk in Repair mode.  I typed in C:\bootcfg /rebuld.  I now get an error message "Failed to successfully scan disks for Windows installations. This error may be caused by a corrupt file system, which would prevent bootcfg from successfully scanning. Use Chkdsk to detect any disk errors."   When I run Chkdsk it tells me: "The volume appears to be in good condition and was not checked. Use /p if you want to check volume anyway."   I did this and I get this message:  4096 bytes in eahch allocation unit.  8532523 Total allocation units on disk. 2607914 allocation units available on disk."

I seem to be in an endless loop!  What do I do next?  How do I reinstall the Windows root\system 32.hal.dll file?   Thanks for your help

Tom

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

April 17th, 2011 18:00

Re-boot and F12 to run Dell Diagnostics on the hard drive.

4 Operator

• 

3.7K Posts

April 18th, 2011 05:00

Hi,

I have an Inspiron 6000 with XP service pack 3 installed.  When I try to boot, I get the error message: Windows root/ system 32.hal.dll deleted or corrupt.

I followed the instructions in the FAQs regarding this problem.  I tried to reboot using the Windows XP disk in Repair mode.  I typed in C:\bootcfg /rebuld.  I now get an error message "Failed to successfully scan disks for Windows installations. This error may be caused by a corrupt file system, which would prevent bootcfg from successfully scanning. Use Chkdsk to detect any disk errors."   When I run Chkdsk it tells me: "The volume appears to be in good condition and was not checked. Use /p if you want to check volume anyway."   I did this and I get this message:  4096 bytes in eahch allocation unit.  8532523 Total allocation units on disk. 2607914 allocation units available on disk."

I seem to be in an endless loop!  What do I do next?  How do I reinstall the Windows root\system 32.hal.dll file?   Thanks for your help

Tom

Hi, Dell have a support page on the hal.dll problem, if that don't work, then you will have to do a reinstall of your OS.

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kcs/document?c=us&l=en&s=gen&docid=DSN_D41BC1D2DB324FFF85D095E5F4244358&isLegacy=true

No Events found!