Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 27th, 2012 06:00

Unable to run windows update after install from recovery media

I have a Dell Inspiron which had a failed HDD.  The machine would not boot properly and the HD failed diagnostics.  The recovery media was on the original drive, so I could not create the media. I installed a new HDD and used the recovery media from another Inspiron that I have.  They models are slightly different.  OS is Win7 Home premium.  The installation of the OS from the recovery media appeared to work hjust fine. The drivers even worked.  But, I am unable to run windows update.  Here are some fo the troubleshooting steps I've tried:
1. stop and restart update service - no help
2. install SP1 (per MS's resommendation) - was unable to install (catastrophic failure)
3. validate windows (per MS's recommendation - all OK)
4. install windows update fix (per MS's recommendation and link) - discovered errors and supposedly repaired them (it did not)
5. ran the automated fix utility from MS - it found issues with windows update, appeared to repair them (it did not)
6. tried a variety of file deletions and registry hacks as found on various sites - no success and even discovered some missing registry entries (assuming they should have been there to begin with)
7. repeat installation of OS from the set of recovery media which I have - no change

Any suggestions?? TIA

No Responses!
No Events found!