Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 23rd, 2016 14:00

Uninstall Windows 10

I tried W10 and particularly hated "Edge", especially as you cannot remove it as the preferred software to open certain things. So I uninstalled it.

The uninstallation coincided with the beginning of error messages from Avira, although it seems to be running OK. Also, I VERY rarely use EBay, but the website is now slow to load and most of the time, locks-up. I use the website so rarely that I can't say that it coincided with the uninstall, but..........

Anyone else have problems after uninstall?

• 

17K Posts

August 24th, 2016 05:00

Spirono,

I have not heard that uninstalling Edge would cause the system to be slow opening websites. Have you installed Chrome or used Internet Explorer in Windows 10?

25 Posts

August 24th, 2016 10:00

Apologies - I uninstalled W10 - I didn't try but believed that uninstalling Edge would not be possible. You could not deselect it as the default to open PDFs and links.

I did realise that I could try Chrome rather than Explorer earlier today but EBay runs fine in Explorer as I type and it certainly runs fine in Chrome at the moment too - I prefer Explorer though - old habits.........

The warning from Avira that I am trying to run something from a location that does not exist, still appeared at switch on though.

398 Posts

August 24th, 2016 19:00

Did you install Adobe Acrobat or Reader first before trying to change the default program for pdfs?

It is possible to use another program by going to Settings -> System -> Default Apps, go down to 'Choose default apps by file type'. You can then change the default for pdf files.

25 Posts

August 24th, 2016 23:00

Acrobat had been on my machine for a very long time. If you tried to make it the default for PDFs, you could not untick Edge, as you could not untick Edge for a few other things, such as opening links. This is why I uninstalled W10.

25 Posts

August 24th, 2016 23:00

P.S. I forget the entire list of functions for which W10 sets Edge as the default, most I could and did deselect, but not PDFs or links.

No Events found!