Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

E

June 6th, 2005 04:00

Unmountable Boot Volume

My Inspiron 8200 will not boot. I am getting the Unmountable Boot Volume error that ends in ED. The solution, apparently, is at this link:

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kb/en/document?dn=1068977&c=us&l=en&s=gen&cs=

My question is this: If i do the steps listed on the link above, will it overwrite ANY of my data? I have some critical files I need to get off!

Please BE SURE before you answer... Thanks so much!

I checked the Microsoft site and got a totally different cause AND solution for my error code:
http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;297185&spid=1173&sid =1157
This tells that my problem is that I need to replace a CABLE to the UDMA Hard Disk Controller!!!!!

Any help here?????? How could the solutions be so different? Any help is sooooooo appreciated!

June 6th, 2005 04:00

Not sure why the link isn't showing correctly:

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kb/en/document?dn=1068977&c=us&l=en&s=gen&cs=

I found it when I searched Dell's info using "Unmountable Boot Volume UDMA."

Thanks, again.

June 6th, 2005 20:00

No one has any help for me? Does Dell monitor this board and help, or just users? I reallllllly need answers. Thanks if you can.

45 Posts

June 6th, 2005 21:00

I had the same problem a while back.

What you do is boot from your windows (re)installation disk, go to windows setup and see if it registers your previous copy when you get to the partition select screen. If it does, and you select it, you should see an option to repair the OS.

The other method you posted also works. (The one where you use CHKDSK /R)

Message Edited by Abadd on 06-06-2005 05:33 PM

June 7th, 2005 00:00

What about it needing a new cable ... UDMA cable? I am sunk because all of my system and application CD's were stolen along with my digital camera. Can't boot at all!

If i need the new cable, sounds like a Dell repair to me. but thanks....

Just afraid I will lose data. Want to pull off stuff before I start repairing if possible.

Again, thanks!

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

June 7th, 2005 15:00

If you did not install a hard drive lately and change cables, I doubt that the cable error applies. Also, you need to buy (or borrow as long as you use your own activation number) a Win xp cd. Might be time to think about just getting a new computer.

June 7th, 2005 18:00

Don't neeed a new computer. Here are the issues with the cable:

I just got this laptop BACK from Dell. I sent it in for repair the very last week of the extended warranty. They replaced the keyboard, touchpad/mouse keys, the entire display and the CD burner. AMAZING. It looks like a new computer!!! Almost is! It's fast... and has a 66 gig hard disk. Certainly not outdated.

When I saw the error code about the cables, I had to guess that when they put the computer back together, they used the 40-wire cable. I got the receipt out yesterday that showed everything Dell did to repair my laptop. One thing I hadn't noticed was they updated my BIOS... and I see in the "fix" article where there is a connection of some sort with the BIOS and the old cables. Wouldn't you think it's possible there is a problem there?

I have a call into Dell... and I know the techs there pretty well. I can tell you that they will most likely take the laptop back and replace the cables, if they agree that could be the problem. It is now officially out of warranty, but this is related to the warranty work they did. What I am trying to do is get my data backed up BEFORE I pack it up and send it to Dell.

Again, this was all preventable... in that I should have backed up faithfully. Universal problem.

About the CD's. I have the original Dell Reinstallation Software CD with XP Home Edition on it. However, at some point, I bought another copy of XP H.E. and used that one. When I try to use the Dell Reinstall CD, it tells me it's not the right one. Since then, I have had my CD's stolen. I have the BOX to the XP H.E. I purchased for $100. But no KEY [serial numbers]. It was in it's own crystal when stolen, and I can't for the life of me find the numbers archived anywhere. If I borrowed one, I STILL wouldn't have my own numbers.

I was given a copy of a friend's XP Pro... along with his numbers... BUT I have hestitated to use it.

Today, I called a local computer company and asked them if they would take the hard drive out and hook it up to one of their laptops and let me back up to a DVD Burner. To my surprise, they said YES! When asked about charges, they said not more than $60. Yessssss! Better then the $149 Commander CD.

I also asked them if they could replace the cable if it is, indeed, a 40-wire. They said they probably wouldn't have the cable, but would tell me if it IS a 40-wire. Then i can go back to Dell and get then to replace it.

So, after going around the world, it looks like I may have a solution, Just hoping the HD is intact... and I see no reason why it wouldn't be.

I will be going Thursday to the computer repair store to try to do all of the above.

My problem will still be no XP CD. I believe MS requires the key codes to get replacements.

June 7th, 2005 19:00

Just talked to Dell and they nixed the cable issue. Apparently there is NO CABLE at all on the laptop; that issue only exists if you have a desktop.
No Events found!