Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 27th, 2005 23:00

Update files (folders) in the Windows folder

Running WinXP.  In my Windows folder I have 41 'hidden folders (sort of)' that are all related, apparently, to some past XP patch!  The folders all start with a $ and look like:

$MSI31Uninstall_KB89xxxxx (a series of numbers)
$hf_mig$
etc.

All the patches, service packs, etc., that have been installed work, and some of these take up a lot of space.  Is it okay to blow them away?

Message Edited by Bob11 on 07-27-2005 07:52 PM

818 Posts

July 28th, 2005 00:00

If you know that you will not need to uninstall the update, just delete them. I have deleted these on my computer.

Message Edited by Augie65 on 07-23-2005 08:40 PM

1.3K Posts

July 28th, 2005 07:00

i deleted the one for uninstalling win xpsp2 that was about 270 mgs.. that is the only one that i deleted..

another place where i delete files from is "C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\Download".. i don't delete the "download" folder, there, just the contents of the folder.. you can also delete files from the c/windows/temp folder.. (not the folder, just the contents of the folder)

i also use a program called "supercleaner", from "south bay software" to remove junk files.. i don't know if windows is designed to eventually remove junk files, or not..

if you are looking for a free program to remove junk files, you could try "crapcleaner".. i use it and it has not caused any problems for me, but some people say that it has caused problems for them..

there is another popular free program for removing junk files, "cleanup!", but it did cause problems for me..

Message Edited by redwolfe_98 on 07-28-2005 04:57 AM

20 Posts

July 28th, 2005 15:00

Careful what you delete. 

Under "C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution" never delete the directory 'DataStore' or the file 'DataStore.edb'. 

This file contains the history of what was installed/failed/hidden via Windows Update.

1.6K Posts

July 28th, 2005 15:00

Thanks for the replies.  So I take it WindowsUpdate does NOT look at any of these files to see what has, and what hasn't, been updated.  I assume it's looking as some registry or .db file?  So, based on the responses I'm going to go ahead and blow all this junk away.  Again, thanks!
No Events found!