Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 11th, 2013 05:00

Upgrade the O.S. of my 1545 laptop

I have an Inspiron 1545 laptop with windows XP Pro O.S. Please recommend the O. S. that the laptop can be upgraded to.

Thank you

15 Posts

April 18th, 2013 12:00

Yerby56,

Before making a decision on what operating system to upgrade to, users should check the minimum system requirements to install Windows 7 or Windows 8

Next, go to the Windows Compatibility Center where it can be determined what applications and devices would be compatible with Windows 7 and Windows 8.

Note what ejn63 says about upgrading; there are no upgrades from Windows XP to Windows 7 so it will have to be a clean installation and the same
goes for going from Windows XP to Windows 8.

Also, in regards to MicroTest’s post, it looks like your laptop should do fine with a modern operating system (Windows 7 or Windows 8) assuming you have similar hardware configurations.

One more thing to keep in mind is the Windows XP End of Support date which is April 8, 2014.  After this date there will no longer be any security updates, non-security hotfixes, free or paid assisted support options or online technical content updates.

Another resource to consider is the Springboard Series on TechNet which contains articles and videos to assist with your operating system migration as well as manage your new environment once it is in place.

A recent Springboard blog post written by Stephen Rose covers more about what end of support means and has many helpful links to the free tools you will need to migrate from Windows XP to a modern operating system, whether it be Windows 7 or Windows 8.

Mike

Windows Outreach Team – IT Pro

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

April 11th, 2013 05:00

You can't upgrade XP to anything newer - you'll need to back up your data and do a clean install of whatever OS you choose.  Vista is pretty much dead - that leaves windows 7 or 8.  Of those, unless you are happy with the Windows 8 interface (most people aren't), Windows 7 makes the most sense.

You CAN use an upgrade version of 7 but you CANNOT upgrade the copy of XP you have - you must to a clean install.

934 Posts

April 11th, 2013 06:00

Windows 8 runs perfectly on my inspiron 1545 and the installation was quite simple:
WLan/chipset driver/graphics driver,ethernet etc will be installed automatically.The drivers are all up-to-date.
Sound works too but I installed Dell's driver which works fine
Quickset can be installed and works but there is a slight "out of sync" - problem with the Windows 8 built-in OnScreenDisplay - didn't like it....
Dell's touchpad drivers are incompatible and can't be installed(so it's not possible to deactivate the touchpad for instance)
Stardocks Start8 utility lets you easily switch between desktop mode and Windows 8 tiles interface.I highly recommend this tool.
With windows 8 and Start8 you have actually the feeling of windows 7 and windows 8 at the same time!!

Note: If you want to watch DVD's you either have to buy Microsoft's Media Center Pack or install free third party software
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-ie/windows/dvd-playback-help

Her are screenshots of my hardware configuration

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

April 11th, 2013 16:00

I have moved this thread to the Microsoft OS Forum.

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

April 11th, 2013 16:00

I recommend Windows 7 64 bit. See my Windows Reinstallation Guide/A Clean Install of Windows 7:

http://philipyip.wordpress.com/dell-community-forums/

This will guide you through the installation. You may use a Digital River .iso as instructed without entering a product key this will allow you to evaluate the performance of Windows 7 on your machine before purchase of a license.

Instructions are available in the Windows Reinstallation Guide for Windows 8 likewise but I recommend Windows 7 over Windows 8 on this model.

No Events found!