Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

E

October 7th, 2009 14:00

Upgrade to Windows 7

Hi,

this is my 1st post on here.

I have some questions about upgrading to Windows 7.

I have an Inspiron 530 running Vista Ultimate, 4GB RAM.

I can get an upgrade to Windows 7 at discount because I am a student, which I would like to do because Ultimate is annoying.  The questions i have is about restoring back to the PC's factory settings if i ever need to- I am aware that i would have to do a clean install because the Ultimate version of 7 isnt included in the offer- plus the extra bits in there arent necessary for me.  When I do the install will it wipe over the system restore partition?  Or will that still be there for if it is needed?  Will I have to install all the drivers for the soundcard etc when i do the clean install?  

Any help would be very gratefully received.

thank you

2 Posts

October 7th, 2009 15:00

Thank you for your reply Shasta.

Whenever I have done a reset I havent reformated disk- just used the system restore which has kept the recovery partition, just not sure about what happens when the OS is changed. 

Thank you for reminding me about the warrenty- will contact Dell before i spend any money to check with them.

Thanks

2 Posts

October 7th, 2009 15:00

Hi eeyore13:

I am no expert but have had to reformat the hard drive on several occasions. It has always deleted the recovery partition. You also lose the handy Dell links that Dell includes with new computers. Some people miss them, others find them a pain & do not.

I have Vista Premium at the moment but it has been buggy almost since I got it. Bad buggy. I was going to purchase & do a clean install of Vista Ultimate but am thinking very seriously of waiting another few weeks & loading a full/new version of Windows 7 instead. My hard drive has already been reformatted so nothing would change for me except the new operating system.

As for drivers, any new install that I have had to do has always required that the drivers be reloaded. It is a rather painful process but it is always nice when it is done. And if you are under warranty & Dell is suggesting the install, they walk you through it. Not sure about changing/upgrading operating systems. I will be calling customer service to ask this very question, as well as how this might impact the warranty.

Hope this helped a little, at least. Best of luck.

Shasta

14.4K Posts

October 7th, 2009 16:00

you will only lose software support which really only last a short time anyone. If Dell is providing drivers for the OS on the drivers and download page then it has been considered a non factor in switching OS's.

You might want to consider just getting a fresh hd to install 7 on. If you have the room you could even setup a dual boot system with both OS's

No Events found!