Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

December 3rd, 2003 21:00

Using two hard drives

I have XP. After adding a new hard drive and making it a copy of my old one and setting the new one as the master and the old one as the slave and booting to the new one, Does add/remove see the installed programs on both hard drives? Can add/remove delete programs from one drive and not the other? If so how do you choose between them? Can a folder be shared by two drives and if so how?

Thank you

12K Posts

December 3rd, 2003 23:00

You can place program files on two different drives but I would not recommend it.  But to answer your first question, NO, you are going to have to reinstall those programs in order to work with the new OS because the .dll files are associated with the old OS.

11.9K Posts

December 4th, 2003 00:00

@superdemon wrote:

I have XP. After adding a new hard drive and making it a copy of my old one and setting the new one as the master and the old one as the slave and booting to the new one, Does add/remove see the installed programs on both hard drives? Can add/remove delete programs from one drive and not the other? If so how do you choose between them? Can a folder be shared by two drives and if so how?

The drive you boot to (the new one) is where all your programs reside as far as XP is concerned.  As far as XP knows, there are no programs on the second drive.  After things seem ok on the primary drive, format the old one and use it for storage.

If you now install a program on the old drive, Windows will know it's there since you installed it after starting with the new drive.

Folders don't exist across multiple drives.

85 Posts

December 6th, 2003 04:00

superdemon :

how did you make a copy of your 'old hard-drive' to your new hard-drive ? I have Windows XP, and bought a larger Western Digital hard-drive.

I would like to use the new HD for Operating System and old HD for data storage.      is there special software ?for this task?

110 Posts

December 6th, 2003 11:00

I believe that most "retail" boxed hard drives come with the software to copy the contents of one drive to the other.  If you bought an "OEM" drive it probably does not come with the copy software.  In this case you would have to use third party software such as Ghost by Symantec or Drive Image by PowerQuest.

683 Posts

December 6th, 2003 12:00

Or you can usually download the appropriate software from the manufacturer's site if you've bought an OEM drive.

85 Posts

December 6th, 2003 14:00

I bought the drive at a computer show ,bare.     I went to the Western Digital site and found 'Data Lifeguard Tools 11'.

this tool will create a backup of a boot drive

thanks for the other links.

146 Posts

December 6th, 2003 16:00

Yep, It will.
No Events found!