Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 26th, 2009 08:00

Vista 64 Bit Start Up problems

I bought a Dell Studio 1737 with Vista 64 bit OS a few months back. About a month an a half ago it started to have issues on start up.  A blue screen would briefly appear indicating a memory dump then it would ask if we wanted to run windows repair or start normally.  If we tried starting normally, it would just repeat the process.  If we repair, it takes about ten minutes to run then we may or may not be able to start it up.  It is now happening every time we start up.   Repair doesn't seem to find anything wrong. Once it finally starts up it works fine.  Usually I have to restore to a previous point. Today it is not even getting past that. Is there anything that can be done short of doing a complete reinstallation?

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

June 26th, 2009 08:00

Before you go any further, powerup, press F12 and from the menu choose Dell Diagnostics.  Run the extended - NOT just the quick - hard drive tests.  There's a high probability the cause of this problem is a dying hard drive.

6 Posts

June 26th, 2009 18:00

I am checking the diagnostics but the check disk utility found no bad sectors on the hard drive.

6 Posts

June 27th, 2009 07:00

I ran all the short and long diagnostics and symptom tree and specific test diagnostics that comes on the Driver and Utility Disk.  Hard dirve is fine, I had previously run a check disk from the command prompt and it found nothing either.  The only thing that showed up is during the LCD ALS Sensor Test it had an error 5300:1028  with the description of : 'BIOS-get inverter type interface function failed'.  I have no idea what that is saying.

2 Posts

August 6th, 2009 08:00

Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

I am having the same problem I have ran the “Hard Drive Test” and it past, ran the” MP Memory Test” and it past, ran the “System Diagnostics Test” and had the same error you encountered “Error Code 5300:1028 msg Bios 5300:1028 Get Inverter Interface Function Failed” .  I restored the computer back to the original settings and I am still getting system failure and having to run the repair program and after having to select System Restore the computer would load windows and work fine. The next time I started the computer and had to go through the same repair program, but when the program ask to restore to an earlier version it would not allow windows to open and shut the computer off. In order to open windows I have to use the F8 key and restore to a much earlier date in order for windows to open.  After restoring to an earlier date in about two to three day I was back getting the same failure error. Dell Support has tried to help resolve the problem, but it came back.

After saying all of that, this problem started shortly after I installed HP Officejet J4660 (wireless printer, copper, scanner, and Fax). I have had a lot of problems with this printer after installing updates. I have uninstalled this printer from my computer and still having the problem. I wonder if there are some hidden files that were not removed causing this problem.  I am wondering if anyone has had this same problem with the startup and has HP printer installed. If you did how was it resolved.

No Events found!